SEATTLE, WASH. -- The No. 6 USC women's tennis team took down its hosts today in a snowy afternoon in Seattle. The match was moved indoors, but the Trojans still shined through with a 6-1 victory over No. 42 Washington to ring up another Pac-12 victory for the surging Trojans. Sabrina Santamaria tallied the clincher from court two, as USC pocketed its sixth straight win to improve to 14-2 overall and 3-0 in Pac-12 play.
Doubles play was all Trojans. #30 DeSimone/Scandalis got the ball rolling with an 8-4 win on court two, and top-ranked Christian/Santamaria brought it home with an 8-5 decision at the No. 1 spot. Lao/Olmos finished off their match on court three with a 7-1 tiebreaker, and USC was on to singles play with a 1-0 lead in-hand.
USC's #67 sophomore Gabriella DeSimone had to retire from her No. 4 singles match, handing a point to the Huskies early. But her Women of Troy rallied from there. #107 Giuliana Olmos dished out a dominating 6-0 6-1 win from court five, and USC was off to the races. #8 Danielle Lao deposited a 6-2, 6-2 drubbing of Andjela Nemcevic at the No. 1 singles spot to put the Trojans within striking distance, and #2 Sabrina Santamaria closed the deal with her 6-3, 7-5 win over Grace Ysidora at the No. 2 spot. With the 4-1 lead and the win in hand, USC fought through two more victories before the end of the day. Kaitlyn Christian went to a 10-point tiebreaker to decide her match on court six with Riko Shimizu, getting the job done to make it 5-1. At the No. 3 position, #27 Zoë Scandalis gutted out a tight third set, going the distance and ringing up the final win with her three-setter vs. Elianne Douglas-Miron to make it a 6-1 USC win.
USC now heads to Pullman to brave the elements once again and face the Cougars in a 12 p.m. match on Saturday (March 23).
#6 USC 6, #42 Washington 1
March 22, 2013 - Seattle, Wash.
(1) #1 Christian/Santamaria def. Douglas-Miron/Shimizu - 8-5
(2) #30 DeSimone/Scandalis def. Coronel/Ysidora - 8-4
(3) Lao/Olmos def. Lukac/Nemcevic - 8-7 (7-1)
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2,1,3
(1) #8 Danielle Lao def. Andjela Nemcevic - 6-2, 6-2
(2) #2 Sabrina Santamaria def. Grace Ysidora - 6-3, 7-5*
(3) #27 Zoe Scandalis def. Elianne Douglas-Miron - 6-0, 4-6, 7-6
(4) Julija Lukac def. #67 Gabriella DeSimone - 5-1 (ret.)
(5) #107 Giuliana Olmos def. Natali Coronel - 6-0, 6-1
(6) Kaitlyn Christian def. Riko Shimizu - 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
Order of finish: 4,5,1,2,6,3