LOS ANGELES – The 17th-ranked Texas men’s tennis team lost to No. 2 USC on Friday evening at Marks Stadium in Los Angeles. Texas falls to 4-2 on the season and the four-time defending national champion Trojans improve to 5-0.
Texas used a strong start in to challenge for the doubles point as David Holiner and Daniel Whitehead cruised to an 8-1 victory over USC’s Gomez/Johnson. Chris Camillone and Nick Naumann worked their way to a 4-1 lead against Hanfmann/Sarmiento, before succumbing to a late rally and losing, 8-6. Soren Hess-Olesen and Andrew Korinek were on the short end of a close 8-6 match to decide the doubles point.
In singles, USC used its full lineup of six top-100 players for the first time of the season to win all six matches and clinch the dual against the Longhorns. Lloyd Glasspool and Nick Naumann respectively suffered their first singles loss of the dual match season. In his first singles match of the dual season, David Holiner took No. 68 Max de Vroome to two tiebreakers before losing in two sets (7-6, 7-6).
It was the eighth time in the last six seasons that Texas and USC have played. The Trojans hold a 20-6 all-time series lead.
Texas will face its third consecutive top-10 opponent on Sunday at 2 p.m. CT against No. 7 Pepperdine in Malibu, Calif. Live scoring is available through PepperdineSports.com. http://www.pepperdinesports.com/livestats/m-tennis/xlive.htm
USC 7, Texas 0
Feb. 1, 2013 - Marks Stadium
(1) Hanfmann/Sarmiento (USC) def. Chris Camillone / Nick Naumann (UT) - 8-6
(2) David Holiner / Daniel Whitehead (UT) def. Gomez/Johnson (USC) - 8-1
(3) de Vroome/Quiroz (USC) def. Soren Hess-Olesen / Andrew Korinek (UT) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) #27 Emilio Gomez (USC) def. #30 Soren Hess-Olesen (UT) - 6-1, 6-4
(2) #10 Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) #24 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. #43 Daniel Whitehead (UT) - 7-5, 6-2
(4) #61 Eric Johnson (USC) def. Lloyd Glasspool (UT) - 6-4, 6-2
(5) #84 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. #98 Nick Naumann (UT) - 7-5, 6-2*
(6) #68 Max de Vroome (USC) def. David Holiner (UT) - 7-6 (3), 7-6
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5*, 3, 1, 6