No. 15 Texas tops Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, 6-1
AUSTIN, Texas - No. 15 Texas men's tennis won the doubles point and five singles matches en route to a 6-1 victory over the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Thursday evening at Penick-Allison Tennis Center. The win marked the second of the day for the Longhorns after defeating UT Arlington earlier in the day.
With the victory, Texas improved to 6-3 in dual match play, and 10-0 all-time against the Islanders (1-5).
"We really enjoyed playing in front of our fans again and competing for the first time after a short break in our schedule," head coach Michael Center said. "We showed signs of improvement today in a number of areas, but there is still some room to get better."
The Longhorns won at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to clinch the lone doubles point and take a 1-0 lead over the Islanders. UT's duo of Soren Hess-Olesen and Joey Swaysland posted a convincing 8-1 victory over Andrew Maingot and Matt Westmoreland at No. 2 doubles. The Islanders' Gergo Weidinger and Guillaume Reuseo topped Alex Hilliard and Andrew Korinek 8-5 in the third doubles spot to even the score for doubles play.
At No. 1 doubles, Chris Camillone and David Holiner dealt a 9-7 blow to Peter Nagy and Odon Barta to clinch the lone doubles point and 1-0 lead for Texas. It was just the second match the 17th-ranked pair has played together this season.
Texas won the first set in five-of-six singles lines to position itself for another sweep. At No. 1 singles, No. 39 Soren Hess-Olesen swept Peter Nagy (6-0, 6-0) to give Texas its second match point. Andrew Korinek topped TAMU-CC's Ricardo Mayagoitia (6-1, 6-4) at No. 5 singles, pushing the Longhorn lead to 3-0.
No. 81 Daniel Whitehead clinched the victory for Texas at No. 2 singles when he topped Matt Westmoreland (6-0, 6-4). Whitehead improved to 5-3 in dual match play with his win.
The Longhorns went on to win at No. 6 and No. 3 singles, with the Islanders' lone match point being claimed at No. 4 singles where Guillaume Rauseo narrowly defeated Ben Chen 7-5, 7-5.
Texas next returns to action on the road at Florida State University on Saturday March 2, 2013 in Tallahassee, Fla.
No. 15 Texas 6, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1
1. #39 Soren Hess-Olesen (Texas) def. Peter Nagy (TAMCC) - 6-0, 6-0
2. #81 Daniel Whitehead (Texas) def. Matt Westmoreland (TAMCC) - 6-0, 6-4
3. Lloyd Glasspool (Texas) def. Gergo Weidinger (TAMCC) - 6-2, 6-4
4. Guillaume Rauseo (TAMCC) def. Ben Chen (Texas) - 7-5, 7-5
5. Andrew Korinek (Texas) def. Ricardo Mayagoitia (TAMCC) - 6-1, 6-4
6. Alex Hilliard(Texas) def. Andrew Maingot (TAMCC) - 6-2, 6-3
1. #17 Chris Camillone / David Holiner (Texas) def. Peter Nagy / Odon Barta (TAMCC) - 9-7
2. Soren Hess-Olesen / Joey Swaysland (Texas) def. Andrew Maingot / Matt Westmorelad (TAMCC) - 8-1
3. Gergo Weidinger / Guillaume Rauseo (TAMCC) def. Andrew Korinek / Alex Hilliard (Texas) -8-5