TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Texas men’s tennis swept the doubles point and won five-of-six singles matches to earn a 6-1 win over No. 75 South Florida on Saturday at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center, on the campus of Florida State.
“I’m pleased with the way we kept our focus today,” head coach Michael Center said. “There are still improvements to be made, but I was impressed with the way we played in key situations and maintained leads throughout the match.”
Texas swept the doubles point, which included a nationally-ranked win for No. 11 Chris Camillone and David Holiner over USF’s 56th-ranked Oliver Pramming and Ignacio Gonalez-Muniz by a score of 8-3.
All five Texas wins in singles competition were decided in two sets. After wins from Lloyd Glasspool at No. 2 singles and Nick Naumann at No. 4, the Longhorns led USF 3-0. Soon thereafter David Holiner clinched the team win for the Longhorns with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Guillermo DeVilchez in No. 5 singles.
The match played out with Sudanwa Sitaram and Daniel Whitehead earning wins in the second and first singles positions, respectively.
The Longhorns (7-4) improve to 2-0 all-time against South Florida. The previous meeting was a 7-0 win for Texas on March 5, 2005 in Austin
Texas will play host to Penn State this Thursday, March 7 at Penick-Allison Tennis Center. The match will be televised live on Longhorn Network beginning at 6 p.m. CT.
No. 15 Texas – 6
No. 75 South Florida – 1
Scott Speicher Tennis Center – Tallahassee, Fla.
1. #80 Daniel Whitehead (UT) def. Oliver Pramming (USF) - 4-6, 7-5 (10-6)
2. Sudanwa Sitaram (UT) def. Ignacio Gonalez-Muniz (USF) - 4-6, 6-2 (10-4)
3. Llloyd Glasspool (UT) def. Federico Sabogal (USF) - 7-5, 6-1
4. Nick Naumann (UT) def. Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard (USF) - 6-3, 6-2
5. David Holiner (UT) def. Guillermo De Vilchez (USF) - 6-0, 6-4
6. Ravi Patel (USF) def. Andrew Korinek (UT) - 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 4, 5*, 2, 1, 6
1. #11 Chris Camillone / David Holiner (UT) def. #56 Oliver Pramming / Ignacio Gonalez-Muniz (USF) - 8-3
2. Daniel Whitehead / Ben Chen (UT) def. Guillermo De Vilchez / Ravi Patel (USF) - 8-4
3. Jacoby Lewis / Nick Naumann (UT) def. Federico Sabogal / Everth Dzib (USF) - 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1