Tulsa Men’s Tennis Defeats Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Oral Roberts in Season Opening Double-Header
Tulsa, Okla. – The 34th-ranked Tulsa men’s tennis team opened the season with a 7-0 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff and a 6-1 victory against Oral Roberts on Thursday at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
In the first match of the day against Arkansas-Pine Bluff, the Hurricane picked up the doubles point with three dominating wins.
Ashley Watling and Grant Ive defeated Hugo Gomez and Eduardo Lugue, 8-3, in the No. 1 position, while Alastair Barnes and Marko Ballok topped Jorge Villacis and Bruno Hurtado, 8-1, in the second slot. Tristan Jackson and Rusty Turpin took care of Andres Riobueno and Tito Bonadonna, 8-3, in the third position.
In singles play, 21st-ranked sophomore Ashley Watling breezed past Hugo Gomez, 6-0, 6-1, in the No. 1 position, and senior Marko Ballok beat Eduardo Luque, 6-3, 6-1, in the second spot. In the No. 3 position, freshman Alastair Barnes quickly defeated Andres Riobueno, 6-1, 6-1, while fellow freshman Grant Ive topped Bruno Hurtado, 6-0, 6-1, in the fourth slot.
Freshman Tristan Jackson picked up a 6-1, 6-1 decision over Jorge Villacis in the fifth position, and sophomore Patrick Collins defeated Tito Bonadonna, 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 6 spot.
In the night cap against cross-town rival Oral Roberts, Tulsa grabbed the doubles point with wins in the No. 2 and 3 positions. Marko Ballok and Alastair Barnes defeated Dmitry Suslov and Dario Beslic, 8-2, in the second slot, and Tristan Jackson and Albert Jou knocked off Matt Tansil and Carlos Salazar with an identical 8-2 score in the third position.
The Hurricane continued its strong play in singles competition, winning five matches en route to the 6-1 win.
Senior Philip Stephens dispatched of Igor Sobolta, 6-2, 6-4, in the No. 1 position, and Marko Ballok topped Mikhail Trukshanin, 6-2, 6-2, in the second flight. Alastair Barnes defeated Dmitry Suslov, 7-5, 6-2, in the third slot, Patrick Collins defeated Matt Tansil, 6-2, 6-1, in the No. 5 slot, and sophomore Rusty Turpin cruised past Elliot Butay, 6-0, 6-0, in the sixth position.
Tulsa faces 68th-ranked SMU tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. from the Michael D. Case Tennis Center. Live video and stats can be viewed at http://www.tulsahurricane.com/livestats/m-tennis/TulsaTennis.html.
#34 Tulsa 7, Arkansas-Pine Bluff 0
1. Watling/Ive (TLS) def. Gomez/Lugue (APB), 8-3
2. Barnes/Ballok (TLS) def. Hurtado/Villacis (APB), 8-1
3. Jackson/Turpin (TLS) def. Bonadonna/Riobueno (APB), 8-3
1. #21 Ashley Watling (TLS) def. Hugo Gomez (APB), 6-0, 6-1
2. Marko Ballok (TLS) def. Eduardo Lugue (APB), 6-3, 6-1
3. Alastair Barnes (TLS) def. Andres Riobueno (APB), 6-1, 6-1
4. Grant Ive (TLS) def. Bruno Hurtado (APB), 6-0, 6-1
5. Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Jorge Villacis (APB), 6-0, 6-1
6. Patrick Collins (TLS) def. Tito Bonadonna (APB), 6-2, 6-1
#34 Tulsa 6, Oral Roberts 1
1. Sobolta/Truckshanin (ORU) def. Stephens/Turpin (TLS), 8-6
2. Barnes/Ballok (TLS) def. Beslic/Suslov (ORU), 8-2
3. Jackson/Jou (TLS) def. Tansil/Salazar (ORU), 8-2
1. Philip Stephens (TLS) def. Igor Sobolta (ORU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Marko Ballok (TLS) def. Mikhail Truckshanin (ORU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Alastair Barnes (TLS) def. Dmitry Suslov (ORU), 7-5, 6-2
4. Dario Beslic (ORU) def. Tristan Jackson (TLS), 6-1, 1-6, 12-10
5. Patrick Collins (TLS) def. Matt Tansil (ORU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Rusty Turpin (TLS) def. Elliot Butay (ORU), 6-0, 6-0