TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The ninth-ranked women’s tennis team earned a 5-2 victory over Washington on Friday at the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility. With the win, the Crimson Tide moves to 7-1 on the season while the loss drops the Huskies to 6-2 overall.
Alabama would take the early lead following a close doubles point with victories on courts two and three. The Tide’s duo at No. 2 of junior Mary Anne Macfarlane and sophomore Emily Zabor cruised to an 8-3 victory; however the other two matches were highly contested throughout. Despite being down early, freshmen Maya Jansen and Natalia Maynetto battled their way back into the match, winning four straight games to take a 5-3 advantage. Washington would go on to take a 6-5 edge; however Jansen and Maynetto would again come back to win the final three games for the 8-6 victory. The match on court one would go unfinished with seniors Alexa Guarachi and Antonia Foehse serving for match point.
In singles, Alabama would win four straight matches to clinch the overall team victory. First to finish was Foehse on court four, picking up a 6-1, 6-0 decision. She was followed by Macfarlane on court one and Jansen on court three. Maynetto moved to 6-0 on the season in singles in dual matches with a 6-3, 6-3 victory on court six, awarding the Tide its fifth, and final, point of the match. The Huskies would get on the board after wins on the final two courts, which would both come in 10-point tiebreakers.
Alabama returns to action on Friday, Feb. 22, when it hosts Texas Tech at 5 p.m. CT.
1. Guarachi/Foehse vs. Douglas-Miron/Shimizu (UW) 7-6, unf.
2. Macfarlane/Zabor (UA) def. Coronel/Ysidora (UW) 8-3
3. Jansen/Maynetto (UA) def. Nemcevic/Lukac (UW) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,3
1. No. 20 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) vs. Grace Ysidora (UW) 6-4, 6-1
2. Andjela Nemcevic (UW) def. No. 22 Alexa Guarachi (UA) 6-3, 4-6, 10-8
3. No. 59 Maya Jansen (UA def. Ellanne Douglas-Miron (UW) 6-4, 6-4
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Julija Lukac (UW) 6-1, 6-0
5. Natali Coronel (UW) def. Emily Zabor (UA) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
6. No. 89 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Riko Shimizu (UW) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4,1,3*,6,2,5