OXFORD, Miss. - The fifth-ranked women’s tennis team overcame a 3-0 deficit to defeat Mississippi, 4-3, at the Gillom Sports Center on Friday to open Southeastern Conference play. The Crimson Tide now stands at 9-1 on the season and 1-0 in the league while the Rebels dip to 2-5 overall and 0-1 against conference opponents.
Mississippi led 1-0 following doubles after winning on courts two and three. Alabama’s fourth-ranked duo of Alexa Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane cruised to an 8-3 victory on court one before the Rebels claimed the 8-5 win on court two and 8-4 victory on court three.
Because the match was moved indoors, only three singles matches were able to be played at a time. Mississippi would win all three first sets in tiebreakers and would eventually take the matches on courts one and two for the 3-0 lead. Despite dropping her first set, Maya Jansen would come back to put the Tide on the board with a 6-7(2), 6-3, 6-4 win on court three. From there, Emily Zabor cruised to a 6-2, 6-2 victory on court five before Antonia Foehse pulled through with a 6-4, 7-6(4) win at the four spot, leaving the deciding point on court six. Natalia Maynetto would deliver the clinching victory for Alabama, posting a 6-2, 6-4 win.
The Tide remains on the road for its second match of the weekend when it takes on Mississippi State on Sunday in Starkville. The match is slated to begin at 1 p.m. CT.
1. No. 4 Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) def. No. 46 Rohde-Moe/Milutinovic (UM) 8-3
2. El Kamash/Vlaar (UM) def. Jansen/Maynetto (UA) 8-5
3. Jones/Verboven (UM) def. Zabor/Foehse (UA) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. No. 39 Caroline Rohde-Moe (UM) def. No. 20 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) 7-6(2), 6-2
2. Mai El Kamash (UM) def. No. 36 Alexa Guarachi (UA) 7-6(6), 6-3
3. No. 77 Maya Jansen (UA) def. Julia Jones (UM) 6-7(2), 6-3, 6-4
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Marija Milutinovic (UM) 6-4, 7-6(4)
5. Emily Zabor (UA) def. Vief Vlaar (UM) 6-2, 6-2
6. No. 106 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Santa Shumilina (UM) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2,1,3,5,4,6*