STARKVILLE, Miss. - The fifth-ranked women's tennis team picked up a 6-1 victory over Mississippi State on Sunday at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre to earn its 10th win of the season. The Crimson Tide now stands at 10-1 overall and 2-0 in the Southeastern Conference while the Bulldogs drop to 5-4 on the season and 0-2 in the league.
Alabama gained a 1-0 edge after capturing the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. The Tide dominated at the No. 2 spot, as Maya Jansen and Natalia Maynetto posted an 8-0 victory. Mississippi State evened the count with a win on court one before Alabama's Antonia Foehse and Emily Zabor secured the point with an 8-6 victory on court three.
In singles, the Tide won four straight victories with the clinching point coming on court five, thanks to a 6-3, 6-0 decision from Zabor. The Bulldogs would win their lone point on court two before Maynetto added another point for Alabama with a 6-1, 6-3 victory on court six.
Next up, the Tide will host Arkansas on Friday, March 8, beginning at 3 p.m. CT.
1. Perper/Tran (MSU) def. No. 4 Macfarlane/Guarachi (UA) 8-3
2. Jansen/Maynetto (UA) def. Van Geel/Flores (MSU) 8-0
3. Foehse/Zabor (UA) def. Patrasc/Ferancova (MSU) 8-6
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. No. 20 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) def. Alexandra Perper (MSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Georgiana Patrasc (MSU) def. No. 36 Alexa Guarachi (UA) 6-2, 7-6(7)
3. No. 77 Maya Jansen (UA) def. Naomi Tran (MSU) 3-6, 6-2, 10-3
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Petra Ferancova (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Emily Zabor (UA) def. Lien Van Geel (MSU) 6-3, 6-0
6. #106 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Roseline Dion (MSU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,4,5*,3,2,6