TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The sixth-ranked Alabama women’s tennis team picked up a 5-2 victory over Arkansas on Friday at the Alabama Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Crimson Tide moves to 11-1 on the season and 3-0 in the Southeastern Conference while the Razorbacks drop to 6-7 overall and 1-2 in the league.
Alabama would take the 1-0 edge following doubles, picking up wins on courts one and two. Antonia Foehse and Maya Jansen cruised through their match from court two, dominating Arkansas’ Sarah McLean and Kimberley-Ann Surin, 8-1. The second win would come in a much tighter match with Alexa Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane holding on, despite a late push from Claudine Paulson and Segou Jonker, to win 9-7.
The Tide won three straight singles contests with the clincher coming from Foehse on court four to take the team victory. Jansen got Alabama on the board in singles first with a 6-3, 6-1 decision from court three, just nearly beating out Emily Zabor, who posted a 6-2, 6-2 win on court five. The Razorbacks posted their first point of the match next as Paulson came back to win in three, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2, over Guarachi. Natalia Maynetto awarded the Tide its fifth point with a win on court six, topping Brittany Huxley, 6-3, 6-4. Arkansas would take the final match of the night in a highly-contested battle that went in favor of Yang Pang, 6-7(2), 6-3, 10-8.
The Tide returns to the court on Sunday when it hosts LSU in a rare match where it will take on the Tigers simultaneously with the men’s team. First serve is slated for 1 p.m. CT at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.
1. No. 4 Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) def. Paulson/Jonker (ARK) 9-7
2. Foehse/Jansen (UA) def. McLean/Surin (ARK) 8-1
3. Pang/Huxley (ARK) def. Zabor/Maynetto (UA) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Yang Pang (ARK) def. No. 20 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) 6-7(2), 6-3, 10-8
2. Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. No. 36 Alexa Guarachi (UA) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. No. 77 Maya Jansen (UA) def. Sarah McLean (ARK) 6-3, 6-1
4. Antonia Foehse (UA) def. Kimberley-Ann Surin (ARK) 6-4, 6-3
5. Emily Zabor (UA) def. Ana Hernandez (ARK) 6-2, 6-2
6. No. 106 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Brittany Huxley (ARK) 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3,5,4*,2,6,1
- UA -