STARKVILLE, Miss. - The eighth-ranked women's tennis team battled back from a 3-1 deficit against Tennessee to win 4-3 on Friday in the quarterfinals of the 2013 Southeastern Conference Championship at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre. With the win, the Crimson Tide improves its season record to 19-4, the most wins in a season under head coach Jenny Mainz, while the loss drops the Lady Volunteers to 12-11.
Alabama started the match in front after taking the doubles point with wins on courts one and two. Sixth-ranked Alexa Guarachi and Mary Anne Macfarlane gave the Tide its first win, posting an 8-5 victory over Tennessee's No. 5 team of Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely. Antonia Foehse and Maya Jansen, ranked 85th, followed that up with another 8-5 win, despite falling behind early to the Vols' team of Joanna Henderson and Sarah Toti.
In singles, Tennessee would take the first three matches on courts one, two and three. From there, Alabama pulled out wins on the remaining three courts, beginning with a 7-6(3), 6-1 victory from Natalia Maynetto on court five. Next to finish was Jansen on court four, who earned a 7-5, 6-3 win, leaving the deciding point to Emily Zabor on court six. Zabor played a solid tiebreaker to take the first set 7-6(2), then went on to dominate her second set, taking it in 6-1 fashion from Tiffany Tavares.
The Tide will now face the tournament's No. 1 seed, and the third-ranked team in the nation, in Georgia in Saturday's semifinals at 10 a.m. CT.
1. No. 6 Guarachi/Macfarlane (UA) def. No. 5 Boren/Szekely (UT) 8-5
2. No. 85 Foehse/Jansen (UA) def. Henderson/Toti (UT) 8-5
3. Zabor/Maynetto (UA) vs. Grace/Williams (UT) 5-6, unf.
Order of Finish: 1,2
1. No. 24 Brynn Boren (UT) def. No. 29 Mary Anne Macfarlane (UA) 6-1, 6-2
2. No. 31 Kata Szekely (UT) def. No. 47 Alexa Guarachi (UA) 6-4, 7-5
3. Caitlyn Williams (UT) def. Antonia Foehse (UA) 6-1, 6-4
4. No. 111 Maya Jansen (UA) def. Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) 7-5, 6-3
5. No. 113 Natalia Maynetto (UA) def. Tiffany Tavares (UT) 7-6(3), 6-1
6. Emily Zabor (UA) def. Jesse Grace (UT) 7-6(2), 6-1
Order of Finish: 1,3,2,5,4,6*