Seattle, Wash. The No. 11 Florida men’s tennis team lost for the first time this season on Friday in the first round of the 2013 ITA Division I National Men's Team Indoor Championship. No. 5 Pepperdine proved to be too much for the Gators, beating UF, 4-1, in Seattle, Wash. Florida will face No. 13 California on Saturday at 5:30 p.m. ET.
Pepperdine, 6-0 on the season, got on the scoreboard first after winning the doubles point. The Waves got a win from the duo of Sebastian Fanselow and Alex Sarkissian on court two over Mike Alford and Florent Diep, 8-5. Pepperdine clinched the point with a win at No. 1 singles, as Finn Tearney and Francis Alcantara defeated Billy Federhofer and Gordon Watson, 8-6.
The Gators’ Stephane Piro and Bob van Overbeek won, 8-5, against the Waves’ Mousheg Hovhannisyan and David Sofaer.
In singles, Pepperdine extended its lead when Fanselow, the fourth-ranked player in the nation, defeated van Overbeek, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 1 singles. Alcantara made it 3-0 for the higher seed with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Watson at No. 4 singles. Alford got the Gators on the board with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Hovhannisyan on court five. The Waves clinched the team victory with a win on court two from Tearney over Diep, 6-3, 6-1.
The remaining matches were halted on courts three and six after Pepperdine clinched the victory. Piro led Sarkissian, 6-2, 2-1 at No. 3 singles, while Federhofer dropped the first set, 6-2, but led in the second set, 4-1, on court six against Sofaer.
ITA National Indoor Championships
February 15, 2013
Seattle, Wash. (Seattle Tennis Club)
#5 Pepperdine 4, #11 Florida 1
1. #4 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. #78 Bob van Overbeek (UF), 6-2, 6-1
2. *#105 Finn Tearney (PEP) def. #36 Florent Diep (UF), 6-3, 6-1
3. #108 Stephane Piro (UF) led #89 Alex Sarkissian (PEP), 6-2, 2-1 - unfinished
4. Francis Alcantara (PEP) def. Gordon Watson (UF), 6-2, 6-0
5. Michael Alford (UF) def. Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP), 6-2, 6-3
6. Billy Federhofer (UF) vs. David Sofaer (PEP), 2-6, 4-1 - unfinished
1. Tearney/Alcantara (PEP) def. Watson/Federhofer (UF), 8-6
2. Fanselow/Sarkissian (PEP) def. #46 Alford/Diep (UF), 8-5
3. Piro/van Overbeek (UF) def. Hovhannisyan/Sofaer (PEP), 8-5
Florida 6-1; National ranking #11
Pepperdine 6-0; National ranking #5
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 3, 1), Singles (1, 4, 5, 2)