#2 Georgia Downs Tar Heels 4-0 In NCAA Sweet 16
ATHENS, GA. – Second-ranked Georgia used its legendary home court edge and powerful singles lineup to its advantage Friday night as theBulldogs defeated 15th-ranked North Carolina 4-0 in the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 at Henry Feild Stadium. Georgia advances to the NCAA quarterfinals, improving to 26-2 on theseason, while the Tar Heels’ dual match season ends at 15-8.
UNC junior Jose Hernandez will begin play in the NCAA singles tournament May 23while Hernandez and senior Joey Burkhardt will begin competition in NCAA doubles play May 24.
Georgia grabbed a 1-0 lead Friday night by winning the doubles point with victories at #2 and #3 doubles. The Bulldogs’ KU Singh and Wil Spencer were off the court first, beating UNC’s Esben Hess-Olesen and Zach Hunter 8-4 at the #3 spot. Shortly afterwards Georgia clinched the doubles point with a win at #2 doubles spot as 41st-ranked Nathan Pasha and Ignacio Taboada downed Cameron Ahari and Brennan Boyajian of UNC 8-5. At #1 doubles, the 20th-ranked UNC doubles team of Jose Hernandez and Joey Burkhardt led Sadio Doumbia and Hernus Pieters of the Bulldogs 7-4 when the match was suspended.
Georgia won the opening set in all six singles matches en route earning the victory 4-0 in a match that ended at two hours and 33 minutes. The Bulldogs made it 2-0 as 60th-ranked Hernus Pieters defeated Oystein Steiro 6-3, 6-1 at #6 singles. At #2 singles, 19th-ranked KU Singh of the Bulldogs defeated UNC’s #92 Brennan Boyajian by a 6-3, 6-1 score. The clinching point came at #5 where Nathan Pasha, the only Georgia starter not ranked in the Top 60 nationally, held off UNC’s William Parker 6-2, 6-2. Of the match that were not finished, 26th-ranked Jose Hernandez of UNC had come back in the second set on #11 Wil Spencer of the Bulldogs and trailed 1-6, 5-2. #32 Sadio Doumbia of Georgia led Esben Hess-Olesen 6-2, 3-3 at #3 singles and #52 Ignacio Taboada led Joey Burkhardt 7-6 (5), 3-3 at #4 singles.
Friday’s match marked the final dual match action in the careers of seniors Brennan Boyajian, Zach Hunter, Alex Rafiee, Cameron Ahari and Joey Burkhardt.
#2 Georgia 4, #15 North Carolina 0
Doubles (Team Winning Majority Of Matches Earns One Team Point)
Order of match finish: 3, 2
1. #20 Jose Hernandez and Joey Burkhardt (UNC) led Sadio Doumbia and Hernus Pietus(UGA), 7
2. #41 Nathan Pasha and Ignacio Taboada (UGA) d. Brennan Boyajian and Cameron Ahari (UNC) 8-5
3. KU Singh and Wil Spencer (UGA) d. Esben Hess-Olesen and Zach Hunter (UNC) 8-4
Singles (One Team Point Per Singles Match)
Order of match finish: 6, 2, 5
1. #11 Wil Spencer (UGA) led #26 Jose Hernandez (UNC), 6-1, 2-5, DNF
2. #19 KU Singh (UGA) d. #92 Brennan Boyajian (UNC) 6-3, 6-1
3. #32 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) led Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) 6-2, 3-3, DNF
4. #52 Ignacio Taboada (UGA) led Joey Burkhardt (UNC) 7-6 (5), 3-3, DNF
5. Nathan Pasha (UGA) d. William Parker (UNC) 6-2, 6-2
6. #60 Hernus Pieters (UGA) d. Oystein Steiro (UNC) 6-3, 6-1
Records: Georgia 26-2, North Carolina 15-8