Sixth-Ranked Bulldogs Blank Clemson
ATHENS-----The sixth-ranked Georgia men's tennis team won all three doubles matches and five singles matches in straight sets en route to a 6-0 win over No. 55 Clemson Thursday at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility.
"I thought the guys did a great job today," said UGA head coach Manuel Diaz. "We expected a really tough match, and the score might sound like the match was easier than it was. Our guys were really on point and sharp today. This really does a lot to our confidence going forward."
Georgia took the doubles point to go ahead 1-0. At No. 1, the fifth-ranked tandem of Hernus Pieters and Ben Wagland defeated Austin Ansari and Yannick Maden, 8-1, to improve to 15-4 on the season. Garrett Brasseaux and Nathan Pasha clinched the point at No. 2 with an 8-6 win over Clemson's Gerardo Meza and Ayrton Wibowo. Austin Smith and Nick Wood finished off the doubles sweep at No. 3 with an 8-5 win over Hunter Harrington and Zachary Rigsby.
To start singles, Smith cruised to a 6-3, 6-2 win over Wibowo at No 4, then Wagland made it 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Meza at No. 3. Nathan Pasha furnished the match clincher at No. 1 where he defeated No. 75 Maden, 7-6(3), 6-2.
No. 16 Pieters gave the Bulldogs their fifth point when he topped Harrington, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 2. Freshman Nick Wood made it 6-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Rigsby at No. 5. Brasseaux's match at No. 6 was suspended after the first set.
"It was a great victory by our No. 1 doubles team, and we got solid play at Nos. 2 and 3, which were new teams," Diaz said. "It was a tremendous win by Nathan Pasha in singles, playing a great player in Yannick Maden. He got down in the tiebreaker and won six points in a row to pull the tiebreaker out. He played tremendous tennis in the second set, so that was a great win for him. It was a good team effort by everybody."
The Bulldog return to action Sunday at 4 p.m. when they travel to fourth-ranked Ohio State.
#6 Georgia 6, #55 Clemson 0
1. #19 Nathan Pasha (UG) def. #75 Yannick Maden (CU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. #16 Hernus Pieters (UG) def. Hunter Harrington (CU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Ben Wagland (UG) def. Gerardo Meza (CU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Austin Smith (UG) def. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Nick Wood (UG) def. Zachary Rigsby (CU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Garrett Brasseaux (UG) vs. Austin Ansari (CU) 4-6, unfinished
1. #5 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UG) def. Austin Ansari/Yannick Maden (CU) 8-1
2. Garrett Brasseaux/Nathan Pasha (UG) def. Gerardo Meza/Ayrton Wibowo (CU) 8-6
3. Austin Smith/Nick Wood (UG) def. Hunter Harrington/Zachary Rigsby (CU) 8-5
Clemson 5-1; National ranking #55
Georgia 3-0; National ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,1,2,5)
Official: Walt Williams