No. 8 Men's Tennis Downs ETSU, 5-2
ATHENS-----The eighth-ranked Georgia men's tennis team wrapped up its pre-conference schedule with a 5-2 win over East Tennessee State on a chilly afternoon at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex on Monday.
It was the second win in as many days for the Bulldogs, who will enter SEC play Friday with a 7-3 record.
"It wasn't easy today with these tough conditions," said UGA coach Manuel Diaz. "It was cold and windy, and ETSU fought us for everything. We competed well, but we can play a little better here and there. I'm really proud of the guys and the way there are going out there every day trying to get better.
Georgia won the doubles point for the eighth time in 10 matches this season to go ahead 1-0. At No. 2, Ben Wagland and Austin Smith defeated Juan Ramirez and Jorge Varon, 8-1. The matches at Nos. 1 and 3 were tightly contested, with Eric Diaz and Marco Nunez prevailing 8-6 over Roger Ordeig and Ricardo Pabon at No. 3. Nathan Pasha and Garrett Brasseaux led Jesus Bandres and Rogerio Ribeiro, 8-7, at No. 1 when the match was suspended.
In singles, Smith earned a 6-3, 6-2 win over Ramirez at No. 4 to give the Bulldogs a 2-0 lead, then No. 41 Hernus Pieters made it 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Varon at No. 3.
No. 92 Wagland then claimed his second match clincher with a 7-6(1), 6-1 win over Ribeiro at No. 2.
At No. 1, Jesus Bandres rallied to beat 21st-ranked Pasha, 6-7(7), 6-3, 1-0(12-10) to claim the first point for ETSU (4-4). After Nunez came back to beat Ordeig, 4-6, 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5, Pabon rallied to defeat Eric Diaz at No. 6, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5 to close out the match.
The Bulldogs will open SEC play Friday at home against 13th-ranked Tennessee.
#8 Georgia 5, East Tennessee State 2
1. Nathan Pasha/Garrett Brasseaux (UGA) d. Jesus Bandres/Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU), 8-7 unfinished
2. Ben Wagland/Austin Smith (UGA) d. Juan Ramirez/Jorge Varon (ETSU), 8-1
3. Eric Diaz/Marco Nunez (UGA) d. Roger Ordeig/Ricardo Pabon (ETSU), 8-6
Order of finish: 2,3
1. Jesus Bandres (ETSU) d. #21 Nathan Pasha (UGA), 6-7(7), 6-3, 1-0(12-10)
2. #92 Ben Wagland (UGA) d. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU), 7-6(1), 6-1
3. #41 Hernus Pieters (UGA) d. Jorge Varon (ETSU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Austin Smith (UGA) d. Juan Ramirez (ETSU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Marco Nunez (UGA) d. Roger Ordeig (ETSU), 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) d. Eric Diaz (UGA), 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: 4,3,2,1,5,6