URBANA, Ill. -- The 15th-ranked Tennessee Volunteers returned to Illinois for the second time in eight days and earned the same result Saturday night at Atkins Tennis Center.
After winning a tight doubles point that came down to a tiebreaker on court 3, the Vols (10-0) rolled in singles in front of a hostile road crowd. Junior Jarryd Chaplin and sophomore Mikelis Libietis picked up straight-set wins before John Collins clinched the match on court 5 with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Brian Page.
Last week, the Vols defeated the Illini 4-0 in the opening round of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend. Collins had also provided the clinching point in that shutout.
Of Tennessee's 10 wins this year, nine have come in shutout form.
#15 Tennessee 4, #25 Illinois 0
1. #9 Mike Libietis (TENN) def. Stephen Hoh (ILL) 6-4, 6-3
2. #114 Jared Hiltzik (ILL) vs. #40 Hunter Reese (TENN) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
3. Jarryd Chaplin (TENN) def. Tim Kopinski (ILL) 6-3, 6-2
4. Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) vs. Brandon Fickey (TENN) 7-5, 3-4, unfinished
5. John Collins (TENN) def. Brian Page (ILL) 7-5, 6-3
6. Ross Guignon (ILL) vs. Edward Jones (TENN) 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
1. Mike Libietis/Jarryd Chaplin (TENN) def. Stephen Hoh/Bruno Abdelnour (ILL) 8-3
2. Tim Kopinski/Ross Guignon (ILL) def. Edward Jones/John Collins (TENN) 8-2
3. Hunter Reese/Brandon Fickey (TENN) def. Jared Hiltzik/Farris Gosea (ILL) 8-7 (7-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,1,5)