Mitchell Frank and Alex Domijan
Virginia Downs Fairleigh Dickinson in NCAA First Round
CHARLOTTESVILLE - The second-ranked Virginia men's tennis team opened play in the 2012 NCAA Tournament with a 4-0 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Cavaliers (25-1) will meet VCU in the second round on Sunday, while the Knights end their season with a 15-9 record.
"I thought the guys played pretty well considering we are coming off a three-week break from competition and are coming off of exams," said head coach Brian Boland. "We came out relatively focused and did a good job. We are going to have to be ready to take it to the next level tomorrow against a very talented VCU team."
The Cavaliers opened the match by winning the doubles point. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) gave Virginia an early edge with an 8-1 win at No. 3 over Mark Hemy and Peter Skvarka. Drew Courtney (Clifton, Va.) and Jarmere Jenkins (College Park, Ga.) followed with an 8-1 win of their own at No. 1, topping Arvis Berzins and Ibrahim Shams to clinch the opening point.
In singles, the Cavaliers doubled their lead quickly as Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) downed Dom Hemy 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 6 position. Domijan extended the lead to 3-0 as he completed a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Shams at No. 2. Courtney sealed the victory with his 6-1, 6-0 victory over Mark Hemy at No. 4. Virginia led in all three matches that were abandoned.
The Cavaliers will look to advance to the round of 16 for the ninth consecutive year as they meet No. 32 VCU on Sunday. That match is scheduled for 12 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center. The Rams advanced to the second round with a 4-0 win over Columbia in Saturday's other first round match in Charlottesville.
#2 VIRGINIA 4, FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON 0
1. #5 Courtney/Jenkins (UVa) def. Berzins/Shams (FDU) 8-1
2. Shane/Uriguen (UVa) led D.Hemy/Jemersic (FDU) 5-4 DNF
3. Domijan/Frank (UVa) def. M.Hemy/Skvarka (FDU) 8-1
1. #4 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) led Arvis Berzins (FDU) 7-6(1), 0-0 DNF
2. #39 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Ibrahim Shams (FDU) 6-1, 6-3
3. #2 Mitchell Frank (UVa) led Yuri Gricheno (FDU) 6-1, 5-1 DNF
4. Drew Courtney (UVa) def. Mark Hemy (FDU) 6-1, 6-0
5. #82 Justin Shane (UVa) led Peter Skvarka (FDU) 6-2, 4-0 DNF
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Dom Hemy (FDU) 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: