TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The top-ranked Virginia men's tennis team reached the 20-win mark for the 11th consecutive season as it shutout No. 30 Florida State 7-0 Friday in Tallahassee. The Cavaliers (20-0, 9-0 ACC) clinched at least a share of their 10th straight ACC regular season title, while the Seminoles fell to 17-8 overall and 4-5 in the conference.
Virginia took a 1-0 lead winning the doubles point for the 15th consecutive match. Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) and Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) cruised to an 8-1 victory at No. 3 over Anderson Reed and Jordan Kelly-Houston. At No. 2, Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) clinched the point with an 8-4 win over Andres Bucaro and Benjamin Lock. The Seminoles' Blake Davis and Dominic Cotrone upset top-ranked Jarmere Jenkins (College Park. Ga.) and Mac Styslinger (Birmingham, Ala.) 8-2 at No. 1 in the final doubles match on the courts.
Rain hit the Scott Speicher Tennis Center as singles was about to start and the match was moved indoors. The change of venue didn't slow down the Cavaliers, who won all six first sets in singles. The top of the lineup quickly sealed the victory for Virginia, beginning with Frank's 6-1, 6-2 win at No. 3 over Reed. Domijan defeated Lock 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2 and Jenkins followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Cotrone at the No. 1 position to make the score 4-0.
The Cavaliers added two more straight set wins as Uriguen topped Michael Rinaldi 6-2, 7-5 at No. 5 and Styslinger downed Davis 6-4, 7-5 at No. 4. In the final match on the courts at No. 6, Shane edged Cristian Gonzalez Mendez in a third-set match-tiebreaker, 6-4, 6-7(4), 10-5.
Virginia will conclude the regular season on Sunday with a visit to Miami. Match time in Coral Gables is 11 a.m. With a victory, the Cavaliers will complete their seventh straight undefeated ACC regular season.
#1 VIRGINIA 7, #30 FLORIDA STATE 0
1. #42 Davis/Cotrone (FSU) def. #1 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVa) 8-2
2. #21 Frank/Domijan (UVa) def. #58 Bucaro/Lock (FSU) 8-4
3. #75 J.Shane/J.Uriguen (UVa) def. Reed/Kelly-Houston (FSU) 8-1
1. #1 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) def. #95 Dominic Cotrone (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. #2 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Benjamin Lock (FSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. #36 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Anderson Reed (FSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. #23 Mac Styslinger (UVa) def. Blake Davis (FSU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Julen Uriguen (UVa) def. Michael Rinaldi (FSU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Cristian Gonzalez Mendez (FSU) 6-4, 6-7(4), 10-5
Order of Finish