CARY, N.C. - The Virginia men's tennis team began its quest for a seventh consecutive ACC Championship Friday with a 4-0 victory over North Carolina in a ACC Tournament quarterfinal at the Cary Tennis Park. The Cavaliers (22-0) needed just over two hours to dispatch of the Tar Heels, who end their season with a 12-13 record.
Virginia will play Clemson in the ACC semifinals after the Tigers topped NC State 4-2 in their quarterfinal match.
"It is really important to get off to a good start in any tournament," said head coach Brian Boland. "It is always nice to get that first match out of the way. I believe the guys came out and played very well today. They are playing some of their best tennis of the year right now. They continue to get better with each match and we look forward to taking the next step tomorrow."
Virginia took a 1-0 lead winning the doubles point for the 17th consecutive match. Alex Domijan (Wesley Chapel, Fla.) and Mitchell Frank (Annandale, Va.) wasted little time getting the Cavaliers on the board with an 8-0 victory over Esben Hess-Olesen and Brett Clark at No. 2 doubles. Julen Uriguen (Guatemala City, Guatemala) and Justin Shane (Falls Church, Va.) followed with an 8-4 win at No. 3 over James Coxe and Oystein Steiro to clinch the point.
The Cavaliers opened singles strong and swept all six first sets. Frank was first off the courts, downing Nelson Vick 6-0, 6-2 at No. 3 singles. Domijan followed seconds later, completing a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 2 over Clark. Shane sealed the win with his 6-2, 6-4 victory at No. 5 over Steiro.
The victory was Virginia's 104th consecutive win over ACC opposition (regular season and tournaments) and its 19th straight win in the ACC Tournament.
The Cavaliers' semifinal match with Clemson begins 10 a.m. on Saturday at the Cary Tennis Park.
#2 VIRGINIA 4, #54 NORTH CAROLINA 0
1. #70 Nelson/Parker (UNC) led #3 Jenkins/Styslinger (UVa) 6-5 DNF
2. #16 Frank/Domijan (UVa) def. Clark/Hess-Olesen (UNC) 8-0
3. #79 J.Shane/J.Uriguen (UVa) def. Coxe/Steiro (UNC) 8-4
1. #3 Jarmere Jenkins (UVa) led #43 Esben Hess-Olesen (UNC) 6-3, 2-1 DNF
2. #1 Alex Domijan (UVa) def. Brett Clark (UNC) 6-2, 6-2
3. #37 Mitchell Frank (UVa) def. Nelson Vick (UNC) 6-0, 6-2
4. #27 Mac Styslinger (UVa) led William Parker (UNC) 6-2, 5-2 DNF
5. Justin Shane (UVa) def. Oystein Steiro (UNC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Julen Uriguen (UVa) led Stuart DePaolo (UNC) 6-2, 4-1 DNF
Order of Finish