Virginia Downs VCU 6-1 for 10th Win of the Season
CHARLOTTESVILLE - The sixth-ranked Virginia women's tennis team began a five-match homestand Friday with a 6-1 victory over No. 42 VCU at the Boyd Tinsley Courts at the Boar's Head Sports Club. The Cavaliers improve to 10-2 overall with the win, while the Rams fall to 9-4.
Virginia opened the match by sweeping all three doubles matches. Erin Vierra (Norwell, Mass.) and Hana Tomljanovic (Boca Raton, Fla.) posted an 8-2 win at No. 2 over Josefin Hjertquist and Daria Yakauleva to give the Cavaliers the early edge. Lindsey Hardenbergh (Fairfax Station, Va.) and Molly O'Koniewski (Hilton Head Island, S.C.) clinched the opening point with their 8-3 win at No. 3 over Olga Terteac and Salome Kvitashvili. Emily Fraser (Rye, N.Y.) and Li Xi (Kunming, China) completed the sweep with a tiebreaker win at No. 1 over Ana and Alex Bara.
In singles, Virginia quickly extended the lead to 6-0 with five straight-set wins. Xi and Tomljanovic made the score 3-0 as they simultaneously won at the No. 3 and No. 4 positions. Vierra sealed the victory with a 6-1, 6-0 win at No. 5 over Marketa Placha. Fraser and Hardenbergh added wins at No. 1 and No. 2 over Ana Bara and Alex Bara respectively. In the final match on the courts, Kvitashvili edged Caryssa Peretz (Cherry Hill, N.J.) in a third-set match tiebreaker for the Rams' lone point.
"As much as winning an important match, I was impressed with how we really built momentum in this match," said head coach Mark Guilbeau. "It is momentum that we can take into this break and hopefully carry through as we start the second part of our regular season. As the match went on, we showed improvement and there were a lot of positives. We also appreciate all the fans you came out and supported us this afternoon."
Virginia will continue the homestand on March 17 as it hosts Maryland. Match time at the Snyder Tennis Center is scheduled for noon.
#6 VIRGINIA 6, #42 VCU 1
1. #11 Fraser/Xi (UVa) def. Bara/Bara (VCU) 8-7(4)
2. Vierra/Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Hjertquist/Yakauleva (VCU) 8-2
3. Hardenbergh/O'Koniewski (UVa) def. Kvitashvili/Terteac (VCU) 8-3
1. #17 Emily Fraser (UVa) def. Ana Bara (VCU) 6-3, 6-0
2. #38 Lindsey Hardenbergh (UVa) def. Alex Bara (VCU) 6-1, 6-2
3. #83 Li Xi (UVa) def. Daria Yakauleva (VCU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Hana Tomljanovic (UVa) def. Olga Terteac (VCU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Erin Vierra (UVa) def. Marketa Placha (VCU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) def. Caryssa Peretz (UVa) 5-7, 6-0, 10-6
Order of Finish: