Huskies Drop Road Match At #12 Cal
BERKELEY, Calif. – The Husky men’s tennis team was unable to find a foothold today at the Hellman Tennis Center, falling 7-0 to 12th-ranked California. The Huskies (12-6, 0-3 Pac-12) have one more big road opportunity tomorrow at 11th-ranked Stanford before coming home to end the regular season with three in a row.
The Huskies dropped the doubles point to start things off, with Emmett Egger and Kyle McMorrow losing an 8-3 decision to the third-ranked duo of Nick Andrews and Christoffer Konigsfeldt at No. 1, and Marton Bots and Matt Stith falling, 8-4, at second doubles to 33rd-ranked Carlos Cueto and Ben McLachlan. Jeff Hawke and Max Manthou forced a tiebreak at third doubles, but lost the breaker, 7-3, to Cal’s Bayane and Scholnick.
Washington was unable to stem the tide in singles. Only freshman Viktor Farkas went three sets, as he and Gregory Bayane split a pair of tiebreak sets, then played a super-tiebreak in lieu of a third set, but Bayane pulled away with that one, 10-2, to end the day.
Junior Kyle McMorrow struggled against Nick Andrews at No. 1 singles, falling 6-2, 6-2. Egger and Bots both fell to top-40 singles players at second and third singles. Egger lost to 37th-ranked McLachlan, 6-4, 6-1, and Bots dropped a 6-2, 6-2 match to 39th-ranked Cueto.
Manthou fell short at fourth singles, 6-3, 6-3, to Konigsfeldt, and redshirt freshman Nicholas Kamisar came up short, 6-4, 6-2, to Riki McLachlan at No. 6 singles.
The Huskies and Cardinal get going at 1 p.m. tomorrow afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center.
Washington Men's Tennis
Hellman Tennis Complex – Berkeley, Calif.
April 6, 2012
No. 12 California 7, No. 22 Washington 0
1) (3) Andrews/Konigsfeldt (CAL) def. Egger/McMorrow (UW); 8-3
2) (33) Cueto/B. McLachlan (CAL) def. Bots/Stith (UW); 8-4
3) Bayane/Scholnick (CAL) def. Hawke/Manthou (UW); 8-7 (3)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1) (76) Nick Andrews (CAL) def. (14) Kyle McMorrow (UW); 6-2, 6-2
2) (37) Ben McLachlan (CAL) def. Emmett Egger (UW); 6-4, 6-1
3) (39) Carlos Cueto (CAL) def. Marton Bots (UW); 6-2, 6-2
4) Christoffer Konigsfeldt (CAL) def. Max Manthou (UW); 6-3, 6-3
5) Gregory Bayane (CAL) def. Viktor Farkas (UW); 7-6 (4), 6-7 (1), (10-2)
6) Riki McLachlan (CAL) def. Nicholas Kamisar (UW); 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 6, 5