No. 11 Cardinal Hold Home Court Over Huskies
PALO ALTO, Calif. – Tennis teams looking for the road upset are always geared to try and nab the doubles point. So it was a tough blow today for the Husky men’s tennis team when the 11th-ranked Stanford Cardinal pulled out the decisive doubles match in a tiebreak. Stanford rode that momentum to a 7-0 win at the Taube Tennis Stadium, as the Huskies hung in on most singles courts but could not get the needed breaks.
After Stanford won the No. 1 doubles match, senior Matt Stith and junior Marton Bots evened doubles with an 8-5 win at the No. 2 spot over Kandath and Lin. At third doubles, freshman Jeff Hawke and sophomore Max Manthou went to a tiebreak against 53rd-ranked John Morrissey and Robert Stineman, but the Cardinal pair came out on top, 7-5, in the breaker to put Stanford up 1-0 overall.
Going to singles, Stanford took all six first sets to put the Huskies in a big hole. Only 14th-ranked junior Kyle McMorrow came back to force a third set, as he was playing Stanford senior Bradley Klahn, a former NCAA Singles Champion. On Stanford’s Senior Day, Klahn came through in the third, wrapping up a 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 win.
At second singles, freshman Emmett Egger was in the mix against yet another highly-ranked foe, but 25th-ranked Ryan Thacher was just a little bit too strong, as he earned a 6-4, 7-5 win. Bots lost a 6-3, 6-2 decision to Kandath at third singles, and Manthou fell, 6-4, 6-1, to Morrissey at No. 4.
Freshmen Viktor Farkas and Nicholas Kamisar fell short in their first trips to Palo Alto. Farkas was stopped by Stineman, 6-2, 6-4, and Kamisar played a solid second set but lost to Daniel Ho, 6-2, 7-5.
UW comes back home for three more Pac-12 duals to end the regular season, starting next Friday against Utah.
Washington Men’s Tennis
April 7, 2012 – Palo Alto, Calif.
Taube Tennis Stadium
No. 23 Washington 7, St. Mary’s 0
1) (9) Klahn/Thacher (STAN) def. Egger/McMorrow (UW) 8-2
2) Bots/Stith (UW) def. Kandath/ Lin (STAN) 8-5
3) (53) Morrissey/Stineman (STAN) def. Hawke/Manthou (UW) 9-8 (5)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1) (84) Bradley Klahn (STAN) def. (14) Kyle McMorrow (UW) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
2) (25) Ryan Thacher (STAN) def. Emmett Egger (UW) 6-4, 7-5
3) Matt Kandath (STAN) def. Marton Bots (UW) 6-3, 6-2
4) John Morrissey (STAN) def. Max Manthou (UW) 6-4, 6-1
5) Robert Stineman (STAN) def. Viktor Farkas (UW) 6-2, 6-4
6) Daniel Ho (STAN) def. Nicholas Kamisar (UW) 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 3, 4, 6, 5, 2, 1