SEATTLE -- No. 24 Washington earned a big win over one of the top teams in the country. The Dawgs defeated No. 11 Florida, 4-1, as part of the ITA National Team Indoors hosted at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. Washington improved to 7-4 on the season with a big win over a highly ranked team.
"There tournament is tough so any win is a good one," said head coah Matt Anger. "Losing the last two nights did not feel good, but today was just good hard tennis. We felt like we got back to what we do and we were fortunate to come out on top."
The Dawgs began by winning the doubles points, although it did not come easy. Washington lost the first match at No. 2 doubles, which meant it needed to win two straight. The Huskies came through, however, winning at No. 1 when Emmett Egger and Kyle McMorrow defeated Gordon Watson and Billy Federhofer, 8-4. Clinching for the Dawgs were Viktor Farkas and Jeff Hawke who defeated Luke Johnson and Bob van Overbeek, 8-6.
Leading 1-0, the Dawgs went to work in singles. Starting things off was Marton Bots who earned a straight-set victory over Florent Diep, 6-4, 6-2.
The Gators fought back and won a point at No. 3 singles when Watson defeated Egger, 6-3, 6-4, to earn the Florida's first point, which would turn out to be their only.
Finishing off the Gators were McMorrow and Max Manthou. McMorrow defeated van Overbeek 6-2 and then in a second-set tiebreak, 7-3. Clinching was Manthou who beat Mike Alford, 1-6, 6-3, 6-4. The clinching point was the second of the spring for Manthou who also had a huge win at Tulsa over another highly ranked opponent.
The Dawgs finished in a tie for 13th at the ITA Team Indoor Nationals. It is the second time Washington has defeated Florida at the same tournament, the other time coming in 2001. The Dawgs have now hosted the tournament seven times and have one at least one match in all seven tournaments.
Next up for Washington is hosting Oregon and UNLV next weekend. The Dawgs host the Ducks on Friday, February 22 at 5 p.m. Sunday, Washington hosts the Running Rebels at noon.
(16) Washington vs. (11) Florida
Nordstrom Tennis Center
February 17, 2013
Washington 4 - Florida 1
1. McMorrow/Egger (WASH) def. Watson/Federhofer (UF), 8-4
2. Alford/Diep (UF) def. Bots/Manthou (WASH), 8-2
3. Farkas/Hawke (WASH) def. Johnson/van Overbeek (UF), 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Kyle McMorrow (WASH) def. Bob van Overbeek (UF), 6-2, 6-6 (7-3)
2. Marton Bots (WASH) def. Florent Diep (UF), 6-4, 6-2
3. Gordon Watson (UF) def. Emmett Egger (WASH), 6-2, 6-4
4. Max Manthou (WASH) def. Mike Alford (UF), 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Viktor Farkas (WASH) vs Billy Federhofer (UF), 6-2, 3-6, 4-5 unfinished
6. Nicholas Kamisar (WASH) vs Luke Johnson (UF), 4-6, 6-4, 1-2 unfinished
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1, 4