Buckeyes Blank Notre Dame to Advance to NCAA Round of 16
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Ohio State men’s tennis team (33-3) dealt Notre Dame (21-9) a 4-0 loss in the Second Round of the NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championship Sunday at the Varsity Indoor Tennis Center in Columbus. The victory served as the 148th-consecutive win at home for the Buckeyes.
As the fifth-seed, Ohio State improves to 31-12 overall in the NCAA tournament. With the win Sunday, the Buckeyes advanced to the Round of 16 and will meet the winner between Harvard and Florida at noon Friday in Athens, Ga. The University of Georgia will host the remainder of the tournament.
Ohio State has now advanced to at least the Round of 16 in the NCAA tournament the last six seasons, including a semifinal appearance last season in Palo Alto, Calif.
Blaz Rola earned a team high 32nd singles victory en route to winning the fourth point of the match, thus clinching the win for Ohio State. Rola, ranked ninth nationally, beat Greg Andrews (No. 54) 7-5, 6-3 for his 14th win on court two this season.
Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith won the first match of the afternoon at No. 3 doubles with an 8-4 win vs. Billy Pecor and Sam Keeton. The Buckeye duo is 26-5 overall, including an impressive 18-2 mark at the third doubles position.
Chase Buchanan and Rola, the nation’s top ranked pair, won their first match of the postseason and 30th of the season after posting an 8-3 victory on court one over Niall Fitzgerald and Casey Watt.
Buchanan wasted no time in carrying his doubles success to singles competition. The senior co-captain downed Watt 6-3, 6-2 on court one to push the Buckeye lead to 2-0. Buchanan, ranked 10th-nationally, is now 28-6 overall, including a 13-2 record at the top position.
Ille Van Engelen was victorious for the 27th time this season and 16th time at the No. 4 position after beating Pecor 6-4, 6-2.
The Scarlet and Gray move to 29-26 all-time vs. the Irish, including 10-4 under head coach Ty Tucker. Ohio State also defeated Notre Dame 5-2 in a regular season contest March 3 in Columbus.
Tennis Match Results
#5 Ohio State 4, #29 Notre Dame 0
May 13, 2012 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
1. #10 Chase Buchanan (OSU) def. Casey Watt (ND) 6-3, 6-2
2. #9 Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #54 Greg Andrews (ND) 7-5, 6-3
3. Peter Kobelt (OSU) vs. Sam Keeton (ND) 6-4, 0-2, unfinished
4. Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Billy Pecor (ND) 6-4, 6-2
5. Devin McCarthy (OSU) vs. Niall Fitzgerald (ND) 2-6, 7-6, unfinished
6. Connor Smith (OSU) vs. Blas Moros (ND) 6-7 (3-7), 2-1, unfinished
1. #1 Chase Buchanan/Blaz Rola (OSU) def. #55 Niall Fitzgerald/Casey Watt (ND) 8-3
2. #32 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. Greg Andrews/Spencer Talmadge (ND) 7-6, unfinished
3. Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Billy Pecor/Sam Keeton (ND) 8-4
Notre Dame 21-9; National ranking #29
Ohio State 33-3; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,2)
NCAA tournament Second Round
Match moved indoors to Varsity Tennis Center because of inclement weather
1:05 was approx. start time