COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 5 Ohio State men’s tennis team shut out Washington, 4-0, in the second round of the NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Team Championships Saturday afternoon at the Varsity Tennis Courts in Columbus, Ohio. The Buckeyes (33-2) will play the winner between No. 12 Texas A&M (18-12) and Texas (17-8) in the round of 16 at 5 p.m. May 16 at the Khan Outdoor Tennis Complex/Atkins Tennis Center in Champaign, Ill., on the University of Illinois campus. For the complete schedule and ticket prices to the NCAA championships, please visit the NCAA championships Tournament Central.
In one of their more dramatic doubles wins of the season, the Buckeyes were aided by a break leading 8-7 at No. 1 doubles to capture their 33rd doubles point of the season. The Ohio State tandem of Peter Kobelt and Connor Smith, ranked 12th in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association polls, were up 8-7 with Washington duo Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke serving to remain in the match. However, the Buckeye pair took a 40-0 lead en route to lifting the Scarlet and Gray to the doubles-point win. Ohio State’s Devin McCarthy and Ille Van Engelen gave the Buckeyes the early advantage at the second position when they beat Viktor Farkas and Max Manthou, 8-4.
Playing as a Buckeye for the final time in Columbus, McCarthy completed his singles match in impressive fashion, relinquishing just three games en route to a 6-1, 6-2 victory vs. Farkas at the fourth position. A winner of 20 consecutive matches, McCarthy has a 26-2 overall record, including a 6-0 mark at No. 4 singles. With Ohio State owning a 2-0 lead, Smith was the next Buckeye off the courts following his 6-2, 6-2 win vs. Egger at No. 3 singles. Also playing his last match as a Buckeye on The Ohio State University campus, Smith has a team-best 34 victories (9-0 at No. 3 singles). Redshirt junior Kobelt wrapped up the afternoon and propelled Ohio State to its 33rd win of the season with a 6-2, 6-3 win against Manthou. Kobelt improves to 32-7 this year, including an 18-4 dual record.
Tennis Match Results
University of Washington vs. Ohio State
May 11, 2013 at Columbus, Ohio
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#5 Ohio State 4, #37 University of Washington 0
1. #12 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. #17 Kyle McMorrow (UW) 7-5, 1-1, unfinished
2. #9 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Max Manthou (UW) 6-2, 6-3
3. #71 Connor Smith (OSU) def. Emmett Egger (UW) 6-2, 6-2
4. #73 Devin McCarthy (OSU) def. Viktor Farkas (UW) 6-1, 6-2
5. #104 Chris Diaz (OSU) vs. Jeff Hawke (UW) 7-6 (7-2), 2-1, unfinished
6. Constantin Christ (OSU) vs. Nicholas Kamisar (UW) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
1. #12 Peter Kobelt/Connor Smith (OSU) def. Emmett Egger/Jeff Hawke (UW) 9-7
2. #90 Devin McCarthy/Ille Van Engelen (OSU) def. Viktor Farkas/Max Manthou (UW) 8-4
3. #50 Blaz Rola/Kevin Metka (OSU) vs. Rishabh Raman/Kyle McMorrow (UW) 7-4, unfinished
University of Washington 18-12; National ranking #37
Ohio State 33-2; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,3,2)
2013 NCAA Division 1 Men's Team Championships Round 2
Official: Vince Solomon T-2:43