UC Santa Barbara Team Page
SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- The Gaucho women take a close 4-3 victory against Loyola Marymount.
The Gauchos started out with three tough doubles matches, unfortunately ending in close losses, meaning the women had to start singles being down 0-1.
Knowing the women needed to perform well in singles, the Gauchos brought their A game, and number three player, Paola Cos, was back in the roster, bringing the team back to their usual lineup.
"I am very proud of my team for their fighting spirit. We got ourselves into a position to win each of our singles." Coach Thibdoeau comments on the team.
April Scatliffe's match ended early as her opponent retired after being down 0-2 in the first set, giving the Gauchos a 1-1 tie game in the match.
Kiersten Meehan and Priscila Garica were both able to clench the next two matches quite easily, 6-0, 6-1, and 6-0, 6-0, respectively.
"I felt I played well, I managed to keep a really positive attitude and stay really outgoing which was probably the main factor to my win. Everyone turned it around after doubles and fought so hard, even though doubles didn't go our way." Number two player Kiersten Meehan comments on her quick win in singles.
The remaining three women all battled to three setters as the matches got more and more competitive. Back into the lineup again, after not being able to play the last few matches due to injury was Paola Cos, who had a drawn-out battle which resulted in a tough loss of 6-2, 6-7. 7-5.
It was Erica Cano who was able to complete the day with a tight 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 win at number six, making the final score 4-3, meaning another victory for the Gauchos.
"We've been playing a lot, in pretty good shape, and now that everyone is back from injuries there's no way we shouldn't do well on Monday. Plus a break in between matches is very convenient and will be nice" Meehan says on their upcoming UCI match.
The women are set to play UC Irvine Monday, February 18th at 11:00 am at UCSB.
1. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. BISHARAT, April (LMU) 2-0, (ret.)
2. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. PARRAVI, Tory (LMU) 6-0, 6-1
3. RAZZETO, Claudia (LMU) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 6-2, 6-7, 7-5
4. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) def. ROHONI, Reka (LMU) 6-0, 6-0
5. JIN, Miya (LMU) def. Stacy Yam (UCSB) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. KOUYOUMJIAN, Kristine (LMU) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
1. JIN, Miya/ RAZZETO, Claudia (LMU) def. April Scatliffe/ Kiersten Meehan 8-6
2. BISHARAT, April/ PARRAVI, Tory (LMU) def. Priscila Garcia/ Stacy Yam 8-4
3. ROHONI, Reka/ KOUYOUMJIAN, Kristine (LMU) def. Paola Cos/ Erica Cano 8-5
UC Santa Barbara 5-2