Vanderbilt University Team Page
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – No. 12 Vanderbilt relied on victories from the bottom of the lineup to defeat No. 50 Arkansas, 4-3, Sunday afternoon at the Billingsley Tennis Center.
With the win, Vanderbilt improved to 9-4 overall and 2-0 in SEC play, while the loss dropped Arkansas to 6-7 overall and 0-2 in conference action.
Vanderbilt recorded strong efforts from the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles positions to take an early 1-0 lead. Ashleigh Antal and Marie Casares teamed up to take down Sarah McLean and Kimberley-Ann Surin, 8-4. The two sophomores are 16-6 this season as a tandem.
Frances Altick and Georgina Sellyn won their third-consecutive doubles match to clinch the doubles point. Altick and Sellyn defeated Arkansas’ duo of Brittany Huxley and Yang Pang, 8-4.
Arkansas’ top duo of Claudine Paulson and Segou Jonker recorded a win over Courtney Colton and Lauren Mira, 8-5.
The Commodores needed little time in securing the win, as Altick, Antal and Sellyn each cruised to wins in the Nos. 4, 5 and 6 positions, clinching the victory for Vanderbilt.
At No. 5, Antal defeated Flavia Araujo in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0. With her win, Antal is 9-1 in her last 10 singles matches. Altick won her fifth-consecutive singles match after cruising past Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez, 6-0, 6-1.
Sellyn completed the victory for the Commodores with her win over Kimberley-Ann Surin, 6-3, 6-3. The Glasgow, Scotland, native is 13-5 this season and 7-3 in dual competition.
The Razorbacks would not pack it in, even though the outcome was already decided, as Arkansas won at positions Nos. 1, 2 and 3 to finish the match. (Yang) Pang took down Mira, 6-3, 6-3 in the top spot, while (Claudine) Paulson defeated Casares, 6-4, 6-2. (Sarah) McLean defeated Colton, 6-3, 6-3 at No. 3.
Vanderbilt hosts No. 6 Texas A&M (March 8) and No. 71 Missouri (March 10) next weekend as part of a four-match homestand. Vanderbilt faced Texas A&M back in January during the Miami Invitational.
1. Yang Pang (Arkansas) def. No. 60 Lauren Mira (Vanderbilt) 6-3, 6-3
2. Claudine Paulson (Arkansas) def. Marie Casares (Vanderbilt) 6-4, 6-2
3. Sarah McLean (Arkansas) def. Courtney Colton (Vanderbilt) 6-3, 6-3
4. No. 64 Georgina Sellyn (Vanderbilt) def. Kimberley – Ann Surin (Ark) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ashleigh Antal (Vanderbilt) def. Flavia Araujo (Arkansas) 6-2, 6-0
6. Frances Altick (Vanderbilt) def. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (Ark) 6-0, 6-1
1. Paulson/Jonker (Arkansas) def. No. 29 Colton/Mira (Vanderbilt) 8-5
2. Antal/Casares (Vanderbilt) def. Ann Surin/McLean (Arkansas) 8-4
3. Altick/Sellyn (Vanderbilt) def. Huxley/Pang (Arkansas) 8-4
Order of Finish