Virginia Commonwealth University Team Page
The Short Story: The red-hot Rams rolled to their fifth straight win and 11th overall with a dominating 6-1 victory over visiting Illinois State. Junior Alexis Heugas and senior Max Wennakoski each picked up singles and doubles victories to pace the Black & Gold, who are sitting at #28 in the latest ITA rankings.
How It Happened:
VCU took control from the first serve with Heugas teaming with freshman Dylan McCloskey to pick up an easy 8-2 doubles victory at the top spot in the lineup. Wennakoski and freshman Michal Voscek followed suit with an 8-6 win of their own to secure the doubles point for the Rams.
The momentum stayed with the Black & Gold all afternoon with straight set victories at each of the top five spots in VCU's lineup.
VCU 6, Illinois State 1
1) Alexis Heugas/Dylan McCloskey (VCU) def. Muddappa appanervanda/Erick Brusnkog, 8-2
2) Max Wennakoski/Michal Voscek (VCU) def. Jakob Eisner/Rolando Torrellas, 8-6
3) Alejandro Argente/Jaime Vazquez (VCU) vs. Alex Pelaez/Rodrigo Oliveira, DNF
1) Alexis Heugas (VCU) def. Alex Palaez (ISU), 7-6, 6-2
2) Max Wennakoski (VCU) def. Erick Brunskog (ISU), 6-4, 6-3
3) Claes Goransson (VCU) def. Rolando Torrellas (ISU), 6-4, 6-0
4) Alejandro Argente (VCU) def. Jakub Eisner (ISU), 6-2, 6-0
5) Jaime Vazquez (VCU) def. Michael Sellitto (ISU), 6-4, 6-2
6) Muddappa Appanervanda (ISU) def. Pascal Domnik (ISU), 1-6, 6-4, 10-8
The Rams are back in action on Tuesday when they travel to fourth-ranked Duke. First serve in Durham is set for 2-0.