UC Santa Barbara Team Page
Davis, Calif.- Despite dropping the doubles point to begin play, the UC Santa Barbara women's tennis team bounced back to win five out of six singles matches en route to a 5-2 win at UC Davis on Saturday.
The Gauchos struggled through the doubles competition, losing the first two matches, and therefore dropping the doubles point. April Scatliffe and Kiersten Meehan were ahead 7-4 in the No. 2 slot, but were unable to finish given the outcome had already been decided.
Meehan, Paola Cos and Stacy Yam all pulled out quick wins in singles giving UCSB a 3-1 advantage over the Aggies.
"It was a good win on the road, we complicated things a little, but we got some great performances in singles," said head coach Simon Thibodeau. "We look to play better at Pacific on Sunday."
After dropping a tight three setter at No. 4 singles, No. 1 April Scatliffe and No. 6 Erica Cano each came out victorious, battling out three-set wins of their own.
"I had a very tough match today that was very up and down the entire time but I think what helped me most was staying level headed and positive no matter what happened," Scatliffe said of her tight match.
Cano defeated Tiffany Pham 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 and shortly after Scatliffe finished out the match with a close 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (5) win over Layla Sanders.
"My team and the men's team were there cheering during my third set and it helps a lot to have so many Gauchos there supporting you and inspiring you to keep fighting until the end," she said.
The 5-2 win over UC Davis improves the Gauchos overall record to 14-6 and their Big West mark to 5-2. They remain in the middle of the state and travel to Stockton to play Pacific on Sunday at 10:00 a.m.
1. Nicole Koehly/ Layla Sanders (UCD) def. Paola Cos/ Priscila Garcia (UCSB): 8-0
2. April Scatliffe/Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) vs. Ellie Edles/ Tiffany Pham (UCD): 7-4
3. Melissa Kobayakaawa/ Megan Hengeghan (UCD) def. Stacy Yam/ Erica Cano (UCSB): 8-5
1. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Layla Sanders (UCD): 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (5)
2. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Lauren Curry (UCD): 6-0, 6-2
3. Paola Cos (UCSB) def. Ellie Edles (UCD): 6-2, 6-1
4. Pelissa Kobayakawa (UCD) def. Priscila Garcia (UCSB): 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
5. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Nicole Koehly (UCD): 6-2, 6-2
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Tiffany Pham (UCD): 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
UC Santa Barbara 14-6