Boise State University Team Page
STANFORD, Calif. - Boise State’s eight-match win streak came to an end Tuesday afternoon as the Broncos fell 4-0 at No. 52 Stanford. Boise State, ranked 22nd in today's ITA national poll, lost on a weather plagued day that saw the teams play only singles during the match. It was Stanford’s day as the Cardinal won four singles matches in straight sets to claim the victory. The loss drops Boise State to 18-4 on the year, while Stanford improved to 9-2.
The three-match road trip to California came to a disappointing end on Tuesday as the Cardinal jumped on the Broncos recording wins on courts one, two, five and six. It started with Boise State’s Brendan McClain falling in two sets 6-2, 6-2 to Anthony Tsodikov at No. 5 singles.
Stanford extended its lead when Robert Stineman defeated Brian Foley 6-2, 6-2 on court six, followed by John Morrissey’s 6-1, 6-4 win over Andy Bettles at the ones.
With the Cardinal within one team point of victory, Stanford’s 55th-ranked Maciek Romanowicz defeated Boise State’s Nathan Sereke 6-4, 6-3 to clinch the match.
Do to poor weather conditions and pending rain, the match was stopped once the team victory was decided. However the Broncos were leading in one match and were tied in the other when play ended. Thomas Tenreiro was one set up 7-6 (6), 1-2 when his match was discontinued. Garrett Patton won his first set but lost the second in a tiebreaker, the third set was not started before play was suspended.
Boise State returns home to close out the regular season with three weeks of home matches starting this Saturday with two contests against Utah State and Middle Tennessee State.
No. 22 Boise State (18-4) at No. 52 Stanford (9-2)
April 1, 2014 at Stanford, Calif. (Taube Tennis Center)
No. 52 Stanford 4, No. 22 Boise State 0
1) Ho/Stineman (STAN) vs. Bettles/Tenreiro (BSU), Not Played
2) Jamin Ball/Morrissey (STAN) vs. McClain/Patton (BSU), Not Played
3) Romanowicz/Strobel (STAN) vs. Mitchell/Sereke (BSU), Not Played
Order of Finish:
1) John Morrissey (STAN) d. No. 86 Andrew Bettles (BSU), 6-1, 6-4
2) No. 55 Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) d. Nathan Sereke (BSU), 6-4, 6-3
3) Daniel Ho (STAN) vs. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU), 6-7 (6), 2-1 DNF
4) Trey Strobel (STAN) vs. Garrett Patton (BSU), 3-6, 7-6 (1) DNF
5) Anthony Tsodikov (STAN) d. Brendan McClain (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
6) Robert Stineman (STAN) d. Brian Foley (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 1, 2