UCLA Team Page
Charlottesville, Va. - The top-seeded UCLA women's tennis team notched a victory in its opening match at the 2013 USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Friday in Virginia, posting a 4-1 decision over No. 21 Vanderbilt at the Boar's Head Sports Club. With the win, the Bruins (4-0) move on to Saturday's quarterfinals where they will meet No. 8 Miami. The Hurricanes were 4-2 winners over Nebraska on Friday.
UCLA's Robin Anderson was spectacular as usual at the No. 1 position against Vanderbilt, cruising to a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Lauren Mira. That win gave the Bruins a 2-0 lead in the match, as UCLA also captured the doubles point.
Although Vanderbilt managed to get on the board when Ashleigh Antal downed junior Courtney Dolehide, 6-3, 6-1 at court No. 6 to make it 2-1, the Bruins quickly closed things out with victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 positions. Freshman Kylie McPhillips got the clinching win, rolling in the third set against Courtney Colton at court No. 2 for an eventual 6-2, 4-6, 6-0 win.
UCLA is the defending champion at the Indoors, defeating Duke, 4-0 in last year's final. More information about this year's tournament can be found on the official ITA Team Indoor Page.
#2 UCLA 4, #21 Vanderbilt 1
Feb 08, 2013 at Charlottesville, VA (Boar's Head Sports Club)
1. Colton/Mira (VU) def. #16 Anderson/Skylar Morton (UCLA) 8-7(3)
2. Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) def. Antal/Casares (VU) 8-7(4)
3. McPhillips/Van Nguyen (UCLA) def. Altick/Sellyn (VU) 8-4
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #6 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. Lauren Mira (VU) 6-0, 6-0
2. #47 Kyle McPhillips (UCLA) def. #102 Courtney Colton (VU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
3. #96 Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. #91 Marie Casares (VU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Chanelle Van Nguyen (UCLA) vs. Georgina Sellyn (VU) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
5. Catherine Harrison (UCLA) vs. #115 Frances Altick (VU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
6. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) 6-3, 6-1
Vanderbilt 4-1; National ranking #21
UCLA 4-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,3,2)