Univ. of Nebraska (Lincoln) Team Page
Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska Huskers women's tennis team (9-1, 1-0 Big Ten) toppled the Colorado State Rams (0-3, 0-0 MWC) on Sunday at the Nebraska Tennis Center 7-0. This marks the 16th time the two teams have ever met and concluding the match, the Huskers remain unbeaten by the Rams in a 16-0 record on the series. Nebraska entered the match with confident doubles play before commanding the singles courts to send the Rams home with a loss.
Starting with doubles, the Huskers grabbed the early lead with victories at the No. 1 then No. 2 positions. Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich swept Colorado State's Kendall Heitzner and Maddie Buxton 8-0 at the No. 1 before Huskers Patricia Veresova and Maggy Lehmicke ousted Rams Natalie Heffron and Adriana Wojakowska 8-1 at the No. 2. Point in hand, the No. 3 doubles match played through resulting in a victory for Colorado State's Mollie Cooper and Abby Stevens over Nebraska’s Lauren Wagner and Maike Zeppernick 8-7 (7-4).
The Huskers quickly extended the lead to 3-0 at the No. 4 and No. 5 positions. The No. 4 finished first with Janine Weinreich only dropping one game in the first set en route to defeating the Rams' Mollie Cooper 6-1, 6-0 before Maike Zeppernick only dropped one game in both sets to out Colorado State's Lauren Pick 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 5 spot.
The match-deciding point came at the No. 2 position where Nebraska's Stefanie Weinstein defeated the Rams' Abby Stevens 6-2, 6-1 to put the score up to 4-0. With the match in hand, the Huskers grabbed two more quick points at the No. 1 and 3 spots. At the No. 1, Patricia Veresova beat Colorado State's Natalie Heffron 6-2, 6-1 before Maggy Lehmicke knocked out Colorado State's Adriana Wojakowska 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 3 to push the score to 6-0.
The No. 6 position was the final match going to a tie breaker for the third set. Nebraska's Lauren Wagner emerged the victor against Colorado State's Maddie Buxton in a shootout ending at 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10).
The Huskers Host UALR and Wyoming next weekend at home. Nebraska faces UALR Friday, Feb. 22 at 4 p.m. before going against Wyoming Sunday, Feb. 24 at 11 a.m.
No. 15 Nebraska - 7
Colorado State - 0
1. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Natalie Heffron (CSU) 6-2, 6-1.
2. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Abby Stevens (CSU) 6-2, 6-1.
3. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Adriana Wojakowska (CSU) 6-3, 6-0.
4. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Mollie Cooper (CSU) 6-1, 6-0.
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Lauren Pick (CSU) 6-1, 6-1.
6. Lauren Wagner (NU) def. Maddie Buxton (CSU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10).
Order of finish (4, 5, 2, 1, 3, 6)
1. Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Kendall Heitzner/Maddie Buxton (CSU) 8-0.
2. Patricia Veresova/Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Natalie Heffron/Adriana Wojakowska (CSU) 8-1.
3. Mollie Cooper/Abby Stevens (CSU) def. Lauren Wagner/Maike Zeppernick (NU) 8-7 (7-4).