Pictured Garret Patton
Boise State University Team Page
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - After knocking off the two ranked opponents in the first two rounds of the Blue Gray Classic, the Boise State men's tennis team did it again, Sunday, defeating No. 47 Texas Tech in an exhilarating final match, 4-3.
Junior Nathan Sereke provided the late-match heroics, clinching the team win with a straight-set victory against Gabriel Dias, 6-4, 6-4. Sereke, who entered the weekend with only two singles wins, went 2-0 on the weekend. The Stockholm, Sweden native secured a crucial point for the Broncos, Saturday along with the championship point, Sunday.
Boise State also received singles wins from No. 25 Andy Bettles and Thomas Tenreiro, both of whom won three singles matches at the tournament. Bettles defeated Vitor Manzini in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3 while Tenreiro took down Francisco Zambon 6-2, 7-5 at the No. 5 spot. The two have win streaks of seven matches and six matches, respectively.
Garrett Patton won earned his second win the tournament with a singles win against Hugo Dojas on court six, 6-3, 7-5.
Boise State showed its resilience once again by climbing out of a 1-0 whole after dropping the doubles point. Sears/Patton were the only pair to get a win. In the point-deciding match though, the team of Bettles/Sereke lost a heartbreaker in tiebreak fashion.
Boise State defeated No. 38 Nebraska in the first round before topping No. 22 Notre Dame in the semifinal.
The team will return home next weekend, where it holds a 23-match home win streak, to host the Springhill Suites Invitational, Friday and Saturday.
1. No. 25 Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Vitor Manzini (TT) 6-3, 6-3
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Gabriel Dias (TT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Felipe Soares (TT) def. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Raphael Pfister (TT) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 0-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Francisco Zambon (TT) 6-2, 7-5
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Hugo Dojas (TT) 6-3, 7-5
1. Vitor Manzini / Gabriel Dias (TT) def. Andrew Bettles / Nathan Sereke (BSU) 9-8 (11-9)
2. Garrett Patton / Scott Sears (BSU) def. Jeff Bryan / Felipe Soares (TT) 9-7
3. Raphael Pfister / Hugo Dojas (TT) def. Toby Mitchell / Flipp Pogostkin (BSU) 9-7