The Thundering Herd travels to Hawaii for a three-match road trip
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – The No. 45 Auburn University defeated the No. 62 MarshallUniversity women’s tennis team, 7-0, Sunday morning at the BrianDavidFoxTennisCenter. The Thundering fell to 7-9 overall, while the Tigers improved to 9-5 on the season.
“I felt we had some opportunities in doubles play, but we let the opportunities slip away,” Marshall’s head coach John Mercer said.
The Herd’s pair of Catherine Kellner (Smithtown, N.Y.) and Kristina Koprcina (Split, Croatia) fought from a 6-1 deficit, but fell short to Auburn’s team of Heather Bybee and Jil Hastenrath, 8-4, at the No. 6 position.
The Tigers would clench the doubles point with a hard fought 9-7 victory at the No. 1 position. The senior duo of Kellie Schmitt (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and Karolina Soor (Lindesburg, Sweden) upset bid fell short to the No. 44 team of Alex Haney and Whitney Chappell.
The number two doubles match was left unfinished due to time constraints with Marshall’s team of Jessica Keener (Reston, Va.) and Deanna Bailey (McDonough, Ga.) and Auburn’s pair of Fani Chifchieva and Myrthe Molenveld tied at 7-7.
“I thought Auburn did a great job of jumping right into it during singles play,” Coach Mercer continued.
The No. 32 Haney defeated Isabell Raich (Klaus, Austria), 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 2 position. Schmitt, ranked 65th, fell to the No. 8 Chifchieva, 6-2, 6-3, at the No. 1 slot.
Soor would then drop a 6-2, 6-2 decision to Chappell at the No. 3 position. Playing the No. 6 mark, Koprcina fell to Hastenrath, 6-2, 6-4. Daniela Vukadinovic defeated Kellner, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 5 position.
Playing the No. 4 mark, Keener fell 0-6, 6-4 (10-6) in a tough match with Molenvard.
Auburn enhanced its all-time series lead over Marshall to 2-0.
“We tried to get the momentum back for singles action but just couldn’t get it,” Coach Mercer added. “Auburn played strong and disciplined matches today.”
Marshall will begin its three match road trip in Hawaii, Thursday, March 26 against Hawai’i Pacific University and University of Hawai’i at Hilo. The Herd will then face the University of Hawai’i, Monday, March 30.
The Herd is 2-4 at home, 4-4 away, and 1-1 at neutral sites so far this season.
# # #
Tennis Match Results
Auburn vs Marshall
3/22/2009 at Huntington, W.Va.
#45 Auburn 7, #62 Marshall 0
1. #8 Fani Chifchieva (AU) def. #65 Kellie Schmitt (MAR) 6-2, 6-3
2. #32 Alex Haney (AU) def. Isabell Raich (MAR) 6-1, 6-2
3. Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Karolina Soor (MAR) 6-2, 6-2
4. Myrthe Molenveld (AU) def. Jessica Keener (MAR) 0-6, 6-4, 10-6
5. Daniela Vukadinovic (AU) def. Catherine Kellner (MAR) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Kristina Koprcina (MAR) 6-2, 6-4
1. #44 Alex Haney/Whitney Chappell (AU) def. Kellie Schmitt/Karolina Soor (MAR) 9-7
2. Fani Chifchieva/Myrthe Molenveld (AU) vs. Deanna Bailey/Jessica Keener (MAR) no result
3. Heather Bybee/Jil Hastenrath (AU) def. Catherine Kellner/Kristina Koprcina (MAR) 8-4
Auburn 9-5; National ranking #45
Marshall 7-9; National ranking #62
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,1,3,6,5,4)