Ohio State Downed by No. 14 Michigan, 5-2
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The 62nd-ranked Ohio State women’s tennis team dropped its final regular-season contest to No. 14 Michigan, 5-2, on the road in Ann Arbor, Mich., Sunday afternoon.
The Buckeyes (9-15, 4-7 Big Ten) grabbed a pair of singles victories in the loss to the Wolverines (17-6, 10-1 Big Ten).
Ohio State will serve as host of the 2012 Big Ten Tournament this week, with tourney play running Thursday through Sunday at the Ohio State University Varsity Outdoor Tennis Courts. Admission is free to all tournament matches. For a complete schedule and information, visit http://go.osu.edu/2012WTENBTT. Ohio State will begin play in the first round Thursday at either 10 a.m. or 2 p.m.
Michigan, which clinched a share of the regular-season conference title with the win, swept doubles to open the match. The Wolverines finished with 8-4 victories on courts one and two and an 8-1 win on court three to gain an early advantage.
After 13th-ranked Emina Bektas claimed a win on court one for UM, junior Gabby Steele earned a point for the Buckeyes with a 6-0, 7-5 victory on court five over Michelle Sulahian to bring the score to 2-1 in favor of the Wolverines. The win was the seventh for Steele in Big Ten play this spring.
Michigan bounced back with wins on courts six, two and three, respectively, to secure the team win. Buckeye freshman Kelsey Dieters picked up a victory, also her seventh in conference matches, on court four after opponent Mimi Nguyen, ranked 108th nationally, retired in the third set.
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State vs Michigan
Apr 22, 2012 at Ann Arbor, Mich.
(Varsity Tennis Center)
#14 Michigan 5, #62 Ohio State 2
1. #13 Emina Bektas (MICH) def. Kelsey Haviland (OSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. #73 Brooke Bolender (MICH) def. Kara Cecil (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Sarah Lee (MICH) def. Fidan Manashirova (OSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Kelsey Dieters (OSU) def. #108 Mimi Nguyen (MICH) 6-1, 3-6, 2-3, retired
5. Gabby Steele (OSU) def. Michelle Sulahain (MICH) 6-0, 7-5
6. Kristen Dodge (MICH) def. Tiffany Dittmer (OSU) 6-3, 7-5
1. #8 Brooke Bolender/Emina Bektas (MICH) def. Kara Cecil/Kelsey Dieters (OSU) 8-4
2. Mimi Nguyen/Michelle Sulahain (MICH) def. Fidan Manashirova/Gabby Steele (OSU) 8-4
3. Sarah Lee/Kristen Dodge (MICH) def. Kelsey Haviland/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-1
Ohio State 9-15, 4-7 Big Ten; National ranking #62
Michigan 17-6, 10-1 Big Ten; National ranking #14
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,5,6,2,3,4)