No. 5 Stanford Women's Tennis Through To NCAA Round of 16
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 5 Stanford coasted to another easy postseason victory on Saturday afternoon, blanking No. 29 Yale 4-0 during the second round of the NCAA Tournament at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
With the win, Stanford (20-1, 9-1 Pac-12) punched its ticket to next weekend's NCAA Championships round of 16 in Athens, Ga.
Making its 31st consecutive postseason appearance, the Cardinal locked up the doubles point before receiving straight-set victories from the top three spots of its singles lineup.
The doubles point was clinched when Natalie Dillon and Veronica Li teamed up for an 8-1 win at the No. 3 spot.
Nicole Gibbs then put Stanford in front 2-0 thanks to a 6-0, 6-1 victory on court one.
Mallory Burdette followed with a decisive 6-1, 6-3 triumph at the No. 2 spot, minutes before Stacey Tan's 6-4, 6-1 victory at the No. 3 position provided the clincher.
Stay tuned for additional postseason coverage on www.gostanford.com. The round of 16 on the women's side gets underway on Thursday, May 17.
- - - - - - - - -
No. 5 Stanford 4, No. 29 Yale 0
1) No. 2 Burdette/Gibbs (STAN) d. No. 72 Brook/Li (YALE) 8-3
2) No. 24 Tan/Tsay (STAN) vs. Epstein/Sullivan (YALE) abandoned
3) Dillon/Li (STAN) d. Kent/Seideman (YALE) 8-1
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1) No. 3 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) d. Elizabeth Epstein (YALE) 6-0, 6-1
2) No. 5 Mallory Burdette (STAN) d. Blair Seideman (YALE) 6-1, 6-3
3) No. 25 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Hanna Yu (YALE) 6-4, 6-1
4) No. 74 Ellen Tsay (STAN) vs. Vicky Brook (YALE) abandoned
5) Veronica Li (STAN) vs. Steph Kent (YALE) abandoned
6) Natalie Dillon (STAN) vs. Annie Sullivan (YALE) abandoned
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3