No. 4 UCLA Downs Hawai'i, 7-0
LOS ANGELES - The fourth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team improved its record to 12-2 on the season on Saturday afternoon, dispatching of visiting Hawai'i, 7-0 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Playing his first-ever match at the No. 1 singles position sophomore Clay Thompson cruised to a straight-set win, downing Chas Okamoto, 6-2, 6-1. Senior Nick Meister, who had played at the top spot in every match this year, was at court No. 2 on Saturday, as he beat Jonathan Brooklyn, 6-3, 6-2.
Junior Maxime Tabatruong had the quickest match of the day, as he didn't drop a single game in a 6-0, 6-0 win over Nils Schuhmann at court No. 4.
UCLA's Adrien Puget, Alex Brigham and Warren Hardie also notched straight-set wins on Saturday.
In addition to notching six straight-set singles wins, UCLA swept doubles play for just the third time in 14 matches this year.
Next up for UCLA is a showdown with Baylor on Wednesday at 2:00 p.m.
#4 UCLA 7, Hawai'i 0
Mar 10, 2012 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #52 Meister/Puget (UCLA) def. Brooklyn/Kovalyov (UH) 8-3
2. Brigham/Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Carter Lam/Rice (UH) 8-4
3. Hardie/Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Chris Meyer/Okamoto (UH) 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #81 Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Chas Okamoto (UH) 6-2, 6-1
2. #33 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Jonathan Brooklyn (UH) 6-3, 6-2
3. #109 Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Dmytro Kovalyov (UH) 6-2, 6-2
4. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Nils Schuhmann (UH) 6-0, 6-0
5. Alex Brigham (UCLA) def. Charlie Rice (UH) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Warren Hardie (UCLA) def. Jared Spiker (UH) 6-2, 6-4
UCLA 12-2; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (4,6,3,1,5,2)