No. 4 UCLA Downs Baylor, 6-1
LOS ANGELES - After suffering a heart-breaking 4-3 loss to Baylor at last year's NCAA Championships, the fourth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team exacted some revenge on Wednesday, cruising to a 6-1 victory over the Bears in a non-conference showdown at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
For the second time in as many matches UCLA was able to sweep doubles play, as the Bruins notched convincing wins at all three positions to claim the doubles point.
The Bruins (13-2) got off to somewhat of a slow start in singles on Wednesday, as Baylor owned early leads at four of six courts. Bear freshman Mate Zsiga, ranked 33rd in the latest ITA singles rankings, was able to tie things up at 1-1 when he downed 53rd-ranked Clay Thompson, 6-2, 6-1 at court No. 1. Fortunately for UCLA, it was the only match that Baylor (9-6) would win on the afternoon.
Straight-set victories by Adrien Puget at court No. 4 and Marcos Giron at court No. 3 put the Bruins ahead 3-1. That cleared the way for senior Nick Meister to clinch the match at court No. 2, as he downed 82nd-ranked Roberto Maytin, 6-3, 6-4.
UCLA also won two other singles matches that were extended beyond two sets, as freshman Dennis Mkrtchian cruised in the third set to beat Diego Galeano, 6-3, 5-7, 6-1 at court No. 5, and Maxime Tabatruong outlasted Kiki Grangeiro, 4-6, 7-6(6), (11-9) at court No. 6.
Wednesday's 6-1 score was uncharacteristic for the UCLA-Baylor rivalry, as the last eight matches between the two teams have all ended in 4-3 scores. The two teams have met every year since 2004.
UCLA will now take an extended break from competition for final exams and spring break. The team's next match will be at home against LMU on Tuesday, March 27.
#4 UCLA 6, #39 Baylor 1
Mar 14, 2012 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. #43 Meister/Puget (UCLA) def. #78 Maytin/Zsiga (BAY) 8-4
2. Alex Brigham/Giron (UCLA) def. Krickovic/Verzaal (BAY) 8-1
3. Warren Hardie/Thompson (UCLA) def. Julian Bley/Grangeiro (BAY) 8-5
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #33 Mate Zsiga (BAY) def. #53 Clay Thompson (UCLA) 6-2, 6-1
2. #31 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. #82 Roberto Maytin (BAY) 6-3, 6-4
3. #105 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Marko Krickovic (BAY) 7-5, 6-0
4. #54 Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Robert Verzaal (BAY) 7-5, 6-4
5. Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Diego Galeano (BAY) 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
6. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Kike Grangeiro (BAY) 4-6, 7-6(6), (11-9)
Baylor 9-6; National ranking #39
UCLA 13-2; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,4,3,2,5,6)