No. 5 Bruins Blank Lions, 7-0
LOS ANGELES - Playing its first match in nearly two weeks, the fifth-ranked UCLA men's tennis team cruised to a 7-0 victory over Loyola Marymount at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon. It marked the final non-conference match of the regular season for the Bruins, who head into conference play this weekend with a 14-2 overall record. With the loss, the Lions see their record fall to 7-8 overall.
Sophomore Clay Thompson and junior Maxime Tabatruong were flawless in singles action on Tuesday, as neither player yielded a single game. Thompson downed Alex Wilton, 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 1 position, and Tabatruong beat Daniel Simko by the same score at court No. 6.
Tuesday marked the collegiate debut for freshman Dennis Novikov, who has enrolled at UCLA for the spring quarter. He and Thompson teamed together in doubles, notching an 8-7(5) victory over Felix Van Kann and Wilton at court No. 3. Novikov then went on to register a 6-3, 6-3 win over Nicholas Bjerke at court No. 2.
Marcos Giron, Adrien Puget and Dennis Mkrtchian were also straight-set winners on Tuesday.
UCLA opens up Pac-12 play on the road later this week, facing Oregon on Friday and Washington on Saturday.
#5 UCLA 7, Loyola Marymount 0
Mar 27, 2012 at Los Angeles, CA (Los Angeles Tennis Center)
1. Alex Brigham/Nick Meister (UCLA) def. Bjerke/Bustamante (LMU) 8-4
2. Giron/Puget (UCLA) def. Simko/Volmari (LMU) 8-1
3. Novikov/Thompson (UCLA) def. Van Kann/Wilton (LMU) 8-7(5)
UCLA Wins Doubles Point
1. #59 Clay Thompson (UCLA) def. Alex Wilton (LMU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Dennis Novikov (UCLA) def. Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) 6-3, 6-3
3. #115 Marcos Giron (UCLA) def. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 6-1, 6-3
4. #51 Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) def. Felix Van Kann (LMU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Daniel Simko (LMU) 6-0, 6-0
Loyola Marymount 7-8
UCLA 14-2; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,6,5,4,2,3)