Hurricanes Open USF Fall Invitational Versus UCF
Miami men’s tennis wins four singles and one doubles match.
Tampa, Fla… The University of Miami men’s tennis team emerged victorious in four singles matches and in one doubles match versus UCF on day one of the USF Fall Invitational at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts on Friday.
Miami, host USF, UCF and LSU are competing in the three-day invitational in which two champions will be named. The player who earns the most singles points over the course of the weekend will be named the singles winner of the 2009 USF Fall Invitational, while the player who earns the most doubles points over the weekend will claim the doubles crown.
After one day of competition, UM’s Waylon Chin sits in a four-way tie for first place in the singles standings with eight points, while Miami’s Carl Sundberg and Hector Nieto are among eight players tied for the lead in the doubles standings with four points apiece.
Points are earned based on which flight the victory was earned in, with singles wins in flights one and two earning eight points, wins in flights three and four worth six points, wins in flights five and six worth four points and wins in flights seven and eight worth two points. In doubles competition, wins in the top-two flights are worth four points, while wins in flights three and four are worth two points.
Chin improved to 5-2 on the fall with a 5-7, 6-3, 10-4 win over UCF’s Claudio Romano in the second flight. David Simon matched Chin with his team-high tying fifth win of the fall, using straight sets to cruise past UCF’s Brock Sakey, 6-1, 6-0.
Christian Blöcker also used straight sets to knock off Blaze Schwartz, 6-4, 6-0, to improve to 4-3, while Ignacio Taboada was victorious in his fall debut, battling back for the 6-3, 3-6, 10-2 win over Johan Beigart.
Sundberg, who earned All-America honors in doubles competition in 2008, paired with Nieto to pick up the 8-5 victory over UCF’s Romano and Sakey in the second flight to improve to 2-1.
The Hurricanes return to competition at the USF Fall Invitational on Sat., Oct. 31, at 9 a.m.
USF Fall Invitational, Day One
1. Marc Rocafort (Central Florida) def. #79 Carl Sundberg (Miami) 6-2, 7-5
2. Waylon Chin (Miami) def. Claudio Romano (Central Florida) 5-7, 6-3, 10-4
3. Christian Blöcker (Miami) def. Blaze Schwartz (Central Florida) 6-4, 6-0
4. David Simon (Miami) def. Brock Sakey (Central Florida) 6-1, 6-0
5. Ignacio Taboada (Miami) def. Johan Beigart (Central Florida) 6-3, 3-6, 10-2
6. Eugene Dolgovykh (Central Florida) def. Barnabas Carrega (Miami) 6-4, 6-0
7. Mario Samson (Central Florida) def. Hector Nieto (Miami) 6-4, 6-3
1. Marc Rocafort/Blaze Schwartz (Central Florida) def. David Simon/Christian Blocker (Miami) 8-3
2. Carl Sundberg/Hector Nieto (Miami) def. Claudio Romano/Brock Sakey (Central Florida) 8-5
3. Johan Beigart/Joe Delinks (Central Florida) def. Ignacio Taboada/Waylon Chin (Miami) 8-4
– 30 –
Margaret L. Belch
Assistant Sports Information Director