OXFORD, Miss. – The No. 10 nationally ranked Ole Miss men’s tennis team shut out Troy 7-0 Monday afternoon at the Gillom Sports Center to improve to 4-0 as they get set to face No. 7 Georgia in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoor Finals Friday.
The Rebels swept the doubles to open the match. Adrian Forberg Skogeng and Harry Fowler dominated in an 8-0 win at No. 3, and then the Thiemann twins, Marcel and Chris, cruised to an 8-3 win at No. 2 to clinch the point.
Freshman Jonas Lütjen improved to 3-1 at No. 3 singles, downing Troy’s Xavier Masson 6-1, 6-1 to make it 2-0. Marcel Thiemann increased the lead to 3-0, topping Luis Grangeiro 6-4, 6-2 in his first ever match at No. 1 singles.
Junior Tucker Vorster clinched the victory surviving a first set tiebreaker against Branko Weber, 7-6(10) and then dominating the second set 6-2.
“This was a very good Troy team,” head coach Billy Chadwick said. “This match will definitely help us in our preparation for the National Team Indoor. We’re looking forward to playing Georgia on Friday. It was nice to get the sweep today. We played well across the board. I am especially proud of Marcel, he played great at No. 1.”
Forberg Skogeng won his match in straight sets at No. 4 singles as did Chris Thiemann at No. 6. Harry Fowler claimed his match in a supertiebreaker at No. 5 to complete the shutout.
The Rebels will head to Charlottesville, Va. Wednesday morning. The face the Bulldogs at 5:30 p.m. CT Friday at the Boar’s Head Tennis Club.
#10 Ole Miss 7
1. Vorster/Lütjen (OM) def. Grangeiro/Silva (TROY) 8-6
2. C. Thiemann/M. Thiemann (OM) def. Masson/Weber (TROY) 8-3
3. Forberg Skogeng/Fowler (OM) def. Sahadi/Rouchdi (TROY) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Marcel Thiemann (OM) def. Luis Grangeiro (TROY) 6-4, 6-2
2. Tucker Vorster (OM) def. Branko Weber (TROY) 7-6(10), 6-2
3. Jonas Lütjen (OM) def. Xavier Masson (TROY) 6-1, 6-1
4. Adrian Forberg Skogeng (OM) def. Aurelien Tave (TROY) 6-3, 6-0
5. Harry Fowler (OM) def. Mario Silva (TROY) 6-3, 6-7(3), 1-0(5)
6. Chris Thiemann (OM) def. Anas Rouchdi (TROY) 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 4, 6, 5
Ole Miss Athletics Media Relations
February 8, 2010