No. 24 Tulsa Men's Tennis Blanks No. 58 New Mexico, 7-0
The No. 24 Tulsa men’s tennis squad earned its second sweep of the year, as the Golden Hurricane blanked No. 58 New Mexico, 7-0, Monday at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center
The Golden Hurricane (11-6) concluded its three-match homestand with a 3-0 record, and has won its past seven home tilts. Additionally, TU has won six of its past seven matches.
Tulsa took the doubles point against the Lobos (9-10) winning all three of its doubles matches. Junior Clifford Marsland and sophomore Alejandro Espejo defeated Andrew Van Der Vyver and Conor Berg 8-7 (7-2) at the top spot. At No. 2 doubles, the senior duo of Grant Ive and Tristan Jackson earned an 8-5 victory against Mads Hegelund and James Hignett. Junior Japie De Klerk and freshman Carols Bautista snared an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles over Samir Iftikhar and Riaan DuToit.
Jackson gave TU a 2-0 lead after a 6-3, 6-3, triumph over Van Der Vyver at No. 6 singles. Minutes later, Ive propelled Tulsa to a 3-0 advantage after a 6-1, 6-4 win against Mads Hegelund on Court No. 3.
Clinching the victory for Tulsa was Espejo, who dispatched Mitch McDaniels 6-3, 6-2 at No. 4 singles.
Marsland, ranked No. 49 in the nation in singles play, defeated No. 116 Samir Iftikhar 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1 singles.
At No. 2 singles, No. 35-ranked De Klerk bettered UNM’s Berg, 3-6, 6-3, 6-1.
Completing the sweep for the Hurricane was Bautista, who earned a 7-5, 6-4, win against Hignett at No. 5 singles.
“I thought we played better today than we did against Rice last Friday,” commented Head Coach Vince Westbrook. “The thing I liked about today was that we were able to be focused for three and a half hours and play solid tennis. We closed out sets, and we took care of business.”
The Hurricane will hit the road for a Friday tilt at No. 58 Texas Tech. First serve is set for 5 p.m. from Lubbock, Texas.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
Tennis Match Results
New Mexico vs Tulsa
Apr 01, 2013 at Tulsa, Okla.
(Michael D. Case Tennis Center)
#24 Tulsa 7, #58 New Mexico 0
1. #49 Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. #116 IFTIKHAR, Samir (UNM) 6-4, 6-3
2. #35 Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. BERG, Conor (UNM) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Grant Ive (TLS) def. HEGELUND, Mads (UNM) 6-1, 6-4
4. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. MCDANIELS, Mitch (UNM) 6-3, 6-2
5. Carlos Bautista (TLS) def. HIGNETT, James (UNM) 7-5, 6-4
6. Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. VAN DER VYVER, Andr. (UNM) 6-3, 6-3
1. Alejandro Espejo/Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. VAN DER VYVER, Andr./BERG, Conor (UNM) 8-7 (7-2)
2. Grant Ive/Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. HIGNETT, James/HEGELUND, Mads (UNM) 8-5
3. Carlos Bautista/Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. IFTIKHAR, Samir/DU TOIT, Riaan (UNM) 8-3
Match Notes: New Mexico 9-10; National ranking #58
Tulsa 11-6; National ranking #24
Official: Bob Holland T-3:17 A-132
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,3,4,1,2,5)