LUBBOCK, Texas - The No. 22 Tulsa men’s tennis team rallied from a 3-0 deficit to take down No. 38 Texas Tech, 4-3, Friday night, at the McLeod Tennis Center.
The Golden Hurricane (12-6) is riding a four-match winning streak heading into its final regular season match on April 13 against Tulane at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
Tulsa dropped the doubles point, as the senior tandem of Grant Ive and Tristan Jackson earned an 8-4 win over Jeff Bryan and Felipe Soares at No. 2 doubles. Texas Tech evened things up at No. 3 doubles, as Raphael Pfister and Hugo Dojas defeated freshman Carlos Bautista and junior Japie De Klerk, 8-4. TTU took the point on Court 1 as No. 69 Vitor Manzini and Gabriel Dias earned a 9-8 (8-6) win at No. 1 doubles over TU’s Alejandro Espejo and Clifford Marsland.
The Red Raiders grabbed a 3-0 lead after Jackson and Espejo fell on Court No. 6 and 4, respectively.
The TU rally started on Court 3, as Ive snared a 6-4, 6-4 win over Soares.
Marsland, ranked No. 49 in the country, took down Manzini 7-5, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. Marsland is riding a seven match-winning streak and the junior holds a 10-2 record at the No. 1 spot and a 17-4 record this season.
De Klerk evened the match at three all as he defeated Dias, 6-4, 7-5 at No. 2 singles.
All eyes shifted to Court 5, as Bautista beat Francisco Zambon, 7-6, 6-3, to clinch the TU triumph. Bautista also has won seven straight matches, and has a 12-4 record this spring.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
Tennis Match Results
Texas Tech vs Tulsa
Apr 05, 2013 at Lubbock, Texas
(McLeod Tennis Center)
#22 Tulsa 4, #38 Texas Tech 3
1. #49 Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. Vitor Manzini (TTU) 7-5, 6-1
2. #35 Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. Gabriel Dias (TTU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Grant Ive (TLS) def. Felipe Soares (TTU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Raphael Pfister (TTU) def. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) 6-3, 6-3
5. Carlos Bautista (TLS) def. Francisco Zambon (TTU) 7-6, 6-3
6. Hugo Dojas (TTU) def. Tristan Jackson (TLS) 6-1, 6-3
1. #69 Vitor Manzini/Gabriel Dias (TTU) def. Alejandro Espejo/Clifford Marsland (TLS) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Grant Ive/Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Jeff Bryan/Felipe Soares (TTU) 8-4
3. Raphael Pfister/Hugo Dojas (TTU) def. Carlos Bautista/Japie De Klerk (TLS) 8-4
Match Notes: Tulsa 12-6; National ranking #22
Texas Tech 14-6; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,4,3,1,2,5)