No. 21 Tulsa Men's Tennis Earns 7-0 Senior Day Triumph Over No. 62 Tulane
The No. 21 Tulsa men's tennis squad concluded its regular season with a 7-0 sweep of No. 62 Tulane, Saturday, at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
The match marked the final home tilt for seniors Tristan Jackson and Grant Ive, who played critical roles in TU advancing to the NCAA Championship Round of 16 in 2011 and 2012.
"It is bittersweet," commented Head Coach Vince Westbrook. "They have performed well not only on the courts, but in the classroom as well. These two represent the type of student athletes we want here at The University of Tulsa."
The Golden Hurricane (13-6) heads into the Conference USA Championships next weekend in Memphis, Tenn., with a five-match winning streak.
Tulsa took the doubles point, as Ive and Jackson earned an 8-4 win over Rodrigo Rappaccioli and Alex Van Cott on Court 2. The Hurricane clinched the point on Court 1, as junior Clifford Marsland and sophomore Alejandro Espejo snared an 8-6 win over Dominik Koepfer and Idan Mark.
In singles play, Espejo quickly gave TU a 2-0 advantage after a 6-2, 6-2, win on Court 4 against Rappaccioli.
Freshman Carlos Bautista extended his singles winning streak to eight matches with a 6-2, 6-1, victory over Alex Van Cott.
Sealing the match for the Hurricane was Marsland, who dispatched Mark, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 2 singles. Marsland, ranked No. 47 in the ITA Rankings, is also on an eight-match winning streak.
The TU seniors went out winners at home in singles, as Ive defeated Joe Young 6-4, 2-6, 10-4 on Court 3 and Jackson beat Ian Van Cott, 4-6, 6-0, 10-6 on Court 6.
Junior Japie De Klerk, ranked No. 52 in the ITA Rankings, snared a 6-4, 6-4, triumph against Koepfer at No. 1 singles.
For all Tulsa men's tennis news and information, visit www.TulsaHurricane.com. Follow Tulsa Athletics on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/TulsaHurricane and Facebook at www.facebook.com/TulsaHurricane. Follow Tulsa Men's Tennis on Twitter (http://twitter.com/TulsaMTennis) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/TulsaMTennis).
Tennis Match Results
Tulane vs Tulsa
Apr 13, 2013 at Tulsa, Okla.
(Michael D. Case Tennis Center)
#21 Tulsa 7, #62 Tulane 0
1. #52 Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. Dominik Koepfer (TLN) 6-4, 6-4
2. #47 Clifford Marsland (TLS) def. Idan Mark (TLN) 6-3, 6-1
3. Grant Ive (TLS) def. Joe Young (TLN) 6-4, 2-6, 10-4
4. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. Rodrigo Rappaccioli (TLN) 6-2, 6-2
5. Carlos Bautista (TLS) def. Alex Van Cott (TLN) 6-2, 6-1
6. Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Ian Van Cott (TLN) 4-6, 6-0, 10-6
1. Clifford Marsland/Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. Dominik Koepfer/Idan Mark (TLN) 8-6
2. Grant Ive/Tristan Jackson (TLS) def. Rodrigo Rappaccioli/Alex Van Cott (TLN) 8-4
3. Japie De Klerk/Carlos Bautista (TLS) vs. Ian Van Cott/Joe Young (TLN) 8-7, unfinished
Match Notes: Tulane 12-7; National ranking #62
Tulsa 13-6; National ranking #21
Official: Nick Fleantie T-2:52 A-511
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (4,5,2,3,6,1)