With a 7-0 sweep of the Cougars, The No. 21 Arizona State Sun Devils (14-1; 4-0 Pac-12) women's tennis team stayed perfect in the Pac-12 to close out a two-week roadstand of conference competition.
"This was a really nice way for us to finish our road season, you have to give lots of credit to our kids for battling again today," ASU Head Coach Sheila McInerney said. "After winning the doubles point easily we knew Washington State would be tough in the singles and they were."
Building upon the strength exhibited in doubles play, Arizona State came out strong winning four of the six singles matches in just two sets. The only three set matches of the day were won by Leighann Sahagun on the No. 3 court against Elizaveta Luzina 4-6, 7-6, 1-0, and Ebony Panoho by a score of 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
This was the second three setter of the weekend for Panoho, who two days prior won the match for ASU against the University of Washington in a 7-5 tiebreak that lasted almost four hours.
Seniors Jacqueline Cako and Hannah James each took care of their Cougar opponent easily, Cako winning 6-1, 6-1 on the No. 1 court and James 6-3, 6-1 on the No. 4 court. The No. 4 court was one of the highest positions for James this season -- the senior is still working her way back into the lineup after post-season surgery last summer.
Joanna Smith and Leighann Sahagun rounded out the last two matches, with Sahagun securing the seventh and final point for the Sun Devils.
"We played and competed very well. I know that we are all excited to return home for our final five matches," McInerney said.
Arizona State will practice for a week before entering the back half of Pac-12 play -- the Trojans of USC come to town on Friday for a mid-afternoon matchup at the Whiteman Tennis Center in Tempe, Ariz. at 1:30 p.m. MST.
"We have a super tough USC team on Friday so both myself and Clint (Letcher), as well as all the girls know we need to be at our very best," McInerney said.
Stick with thesundevils.com and Like Arizona State Women's Tennis on Facebook for all the latest details.
#21 Arizona State 7 :: #71 Washington State University 0
WSU Outdoor Tennis Courts
10:45 a.m. PDT
1. Nicole Smith/Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. Liudmila Vasilieva/Ksenia Googe (WSU) 8-0
2. Joanna Smith/Ebony Panoho (ASU) def. Andjela Kankaras/Olga Musilovich (WSU) 7-2 DNF
3. Leighann Sahagun/Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) def. Elizaveta Luzina/Charlotte Koning (WSU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Jacqueline Cako (ASU) def. Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Desirae Krawczyk (ASU) def. Ksenia Googe (WSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Leighann Sahagun (ASU) def. Elizaveta Luzina (WSU) 4-6, 7-6, 1-0
4. Hannah James (ASU) def. Andjela Kankaras (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Ebony Panoho (ASU) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
6. Joanna Smith (ASU) def. Charlotte Koning (WSU) 7-6, 6-0
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 1, 6, 5, 3