Seminoles Fall To No. 25 Clemson 4-3
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The No. 28 Florida State men's tennis team (13-4, 1-1) lost a tight 4-3 match to No. 25 Clemson (13-2) Sunday at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center to close out Spring Break. After winning their fifth straight doubles point, the Seminoles won five first sets but went on to lose four second sets.
"Clemson did a good job by winning two 4-3 matches in a row," said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. "We didn't do a good job on the second sets and the key to the match today was those second sets. We immediately got down in the second sets pretty early. We didn't win any of the three set matches so that hurt us as well."
In doubles play, seniors Anderson Reed and Jordan Kelly-Houston won their fourth match in a row with an 8-3 victory over Austin Ansari and Zachary Rigsby on court two. Clinching the doubles point was junior Blake Davis and sophomore Dominic Cotrone on court three. The duo recorded an 8-4 win over Ayrton Wibowo and Hunter Harrington.
"We've only lost the doubles point twice all year, so this is one of our better lines," said Hultquist. "We played really good at two and three doubles today. Benjamin played very well today at singles. His game plan was excellent. Blake came through and finished his match."
In singles play, the Seminoles start strong winning five first sets. Sophomore Benjamin Lock snapped his three-match losing streak with a 6-4, 6-2 win on court three over Gerardo Meza. Following that win, Clemson won two straight matches on courts five and one.
Blake Davis made the score 3-2 in the Seminole favor with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Wibowo on court four. The Tigers went on to tie the match with a win on court six. With the match on the line, the attention was focused on Kelly-Houston on court two. After winning his first set, the Seminole lost in a second set tiebreaker to play a third. Kelly-Houston would go on to lost 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-4 to Harrington.
For more information, check back to Seminoles.com. You can also follow the team at Twitter.com/FSU_MTennis.
No. 25 Clemson 4, No. 28 Florida State 3
1. #22 Andres Bucaro/B. Lock (FS) vs. #11 Dominique Maden/Y. Maden (CLEM) 4-5, unf.
2. Anderson Reed/Jordan Kelly-Houston (FS) def. Austin Ansari/Zachary Rigsby (CLEM) 8-3
3. Blake Davis/Dominic Cotrone (FS) def. Ayrton Wibowo/Hunter Harrington (CLEM) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. #41 Yannick Maden (CLEM) def. #110 Dominic Cotrone (FS) 6-4, 6-3
2. Hunter Harrington (CLEM) def. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FS) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
3. Benjamin Lock (FS) def. Gerardo Meza (CLEM) 6-4, 6-2
4. Blake Davis (FS) def. Ayrton Wibowo (CLEM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Austin Ansari (CLEM) def. Anderson Reed (FS) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Zachary Rigsby (CLEM) def. Michael Rinaldi (FS) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 3,5,1,4,6,2*