Feb. 14, 2010
CONTACT: Pat Murray
OFFICE: (409) 880-2323
CELL: (409) 651-0521
Lamar Prevails Over Prairie View A&M
BEAUMONT, Texas – The Lamar University women’s tennis team improved its record to 4-1 with a 4-0 rain-shortened victory over Prairie View A&M in a non-conference match Sunday.
The Lady Cardinals earned the doubles point and won three singles matches before a burst of rain ended the matches. Lamar was winning all three of the remaining singles matches when the proceedings were halted.
Manijee Ashrafi and Alessandra Pennesi won in straight sets for Lamar, while Diana Mendez won by default.
Prairie View A&M fell to 0-2.
Lamar returns to action at noon Monday when it hosts Southern Mississippi.
Lamar 4, Prairie View A&M 0
1. Mariaryeni Gutierrez (LUW) vs. Munashe Makoni (PVAM) 6-3, unfinished
2. Manijee Ashrafi (LUW) def. Melissa Guerrier (PVAM) 6-2, 6-0
3. Natalia Mayagoitia (LUW) vs. Lerato Ndlovu (PVAM) 6-3, unfinished
4. Manami Kuroda (LUW) vs. Alejandra Burrera (PVAM) 6-3, unfinished
5. Alessandra Pennesi (LUW) def. Margaret Berry (PVAM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Diana Mendez (LUW) def. No player (PVAM), by default
1. Mariaryeni Gutierrez/Manijee Ashrafi (LUW) def. Munashe Makoni/Lerato Ndlovu (PVAM) 8-0
2. Natalia Mayagoitia/Manami Kuroda (LUW) def. Melissa Guerrier/Alejandra Burrera (PVAM) 8-4
3. Alessandra Pennesi/Kaltrina Harbuzi (LUW) def. No player/No player (PVAM), by default
Prairie View A&M 0-2; Lamar 4-1