No. 7 Tar Heels Roll Into NCAA Second Round
CHAPEL HILL --- No. 7 North Carolina advanced to the second round of the NCAA Women's Tennis Championship for the 12th year in a row with a 4-0 victory over Richmond Friday afternoon at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. Haley Hemm, Tessa Lyons and Caroline Price were singles winners for the Tar Heels, who will face Arizona Saturday at 3 p.m. for a spot in the round of 16 in Athens, Ga.
Carolina (23-6) was dominant out of the gate in doubles, getting a pair of quick victories to secure the point. No. 4 Shinann Featherston and Lauren McHale were first to finish, as the All-America pair did not drop a game in an 8-0 win over Melissa Kandinata and Elizabeth Sims at the top position. Jennifer Stone and Zoe De Bruycker then ended doubles play with their 8-1 victory over Nil Horoz and Mariana Arana on court three.
Singles was more of the same for the hosts, as the Atlantic-10 champion Spiders (14-5) were unable to stem the tide.
Hemm was first off on court six, as the Menlo Park, Calif., senior made short work of Arana, 6-0, 6-0. Lyons made it 3-0 soon after with her 6-0, 6-1 victory over Horoz on court five.
From there it was a race to clinch the dual, and Price got the final point for Carolina, defeating Helen Cunningham in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0.
De Bruycker, Featherston and Gina Suarez-Malaguti were all ahead in the second set of their matches when play was halted.
Carolina will look to book its third consecutive trip to the NCAA final site when the Tar Heels meet Arizona at 3 p.m. The Wildcats were 4-1 winners over Minnesota in the day's first match.
Admission for all spectators is $5 and tickets can be purchased at the ticket trailer outside the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
No. 7 North Carolina 4, Richmond 0
1. #4 Featherston/McHale (UNC) def. Kandinata/Sims (R), 8-0
2. #81 Hemm/Lyons (UNC) vs. Cunningham/Matuszczyk (R), 4-3, DNF
3. Stone/De Bruycker (UNC) def. Horoz/Arana (R), 8-1
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. #38 Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) vs. Joanna Matuszczyk (R), 6-3, 2-0, DNF
2. #106 Shinann Featherston (UNC) vs. Melissa Kandinata (R), 6-2, 2-0, DNF
3. #104 Caroline Price (UNC) def. Helen Cunningham (R), 6-0, 6-0
4. Gina Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) vs. Elizabeth Sims (R), 6-2, 2-1, DNF
5. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Nil Horoz (R), 6-0, 6-1
6. Haley Hemm (UNC) def. Mariana Arana (R), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3