COLLEGE PARK, Md. --- No. 1 North Carolina clinched at least a share of the Atlantic Coast Conference regular season title Sunday with a 7-0 win over Maryland at the Tennis Center at College Park. Gina Suarez-Malaguti, Kate Vialle, Tessa Lyons, Lauren McHale, Ashley Dai and Zoe De Bruycker were singles winners for the Tar Heels, who can lock up the regular season crown as well as the No. 1 seed in next week's ACC Championship with a win over Boston College Monday.
McHale and Laura Slater got the Tar Heels off to a strong start in doubles, taking care of Vroni Van Berlo and Sarah Gealer on court one, 8-4. Lyons and Dai then clinched the point on court three, outlasting Olga Gaistruk and Gabriela Srodowski, 8-5.
Carolina left no doubt in singles, winning in straight sets on all six courts. No. 9 Suarez-Malaguti was first off with a dominant 6-3, 6-0 win over Van Berlo. Vialle made it 3-0 on the opposite end of the lineup, dropping just two games in a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Srodowski on court six.
Lyons won the race to clinch the dual, defeating Nataliya Bredikhina on court five, 6-3, 6-1, to give the Tar Heels the overall win. McHale and Dai finished soon after, losing just three combined games in their victories on courts three and four, respectively.
No. 40 De Bruycker completed the sweep on court two as she topped Maryland's talented freshman Gealer, 6-4, 6-4, to push the Tar Heels to 23-2 on the year and 9-1 in league play. The Terrapins, who won their first ACC match of the season Friday against Duke, fell to 6-15 and 1-10.
Carolina will face Boston College Monday at 1 p.m. in a match that was originally scheduled for Friday before being postponed due to the events surrounding the Boston Marathon bombings. With a win, the Tar Heels can grab the outright ACC regular season title. Virginia and Clemson each won Sunday to finish the regular season at 9-2 in league play.
No. 1 North Carolina 7, Maryland 0
1. Lauren McHale/Laura Slater (UNC) def. Vroni Van Berlo/Sarah Gealer (MD), 8-4
2. Olga Bredikhina/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) vs. #90 Gina Suarez-Malaguti/Zoe De Bruycker (UNC), 5-4, unfinished
3. Ashley Dai/Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Olga Gaistruk/Gabriela Srodowski (MD), 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. #9 Gina Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD), 6-3, 6-0
2. #40 Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) def. Sarah Gealer (MD), 6-4, 6-4
3. Lauren McHale (UNC) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD), 6-1, 6-0
4. Ashley Dai (UNC) def. Olga Gaistruk (MD), 6-1, 6-1
5. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD), 6-3, 6-1
6. Kate Vialle (UNC) def. Gabriela Srodowski (MD), 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 6, 5, 3, 4, 2
North Carolina Women's Tennis