WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - No. 16 Northwestern took down No. 27 Purdue for the second time this season as the Wildcats dominated the host Boilermakers Friday afternoon, winning 6-1.
Purdue entered the match with only three losses on the season, but NU's victory made the Wildcats responsible for half of the Boilermakers' defeats this year. The teams had previously met Jan. 26 in Evanston in a second-round matchup of the ITA Team Indoor Team Championship. NU won that meeting between the teams 4-2.
Site: West Lafayette, Ind. (Schwartz Tennis Center)
Score: No. 16 Northwestern 6, No. 27 Purdue 1
Records: NU (14-8, 8-2 Big Ten), Purdue (15-4, 7-3 Big Ten)
Next NU Event: Sunday, April 21 - vs. Indiana (Vandy Christie Tennis Center), 11 a.m.
Though the teams entered Friday's contest tied for third in the Big Ten standings, Northwestern made this one look easy.
In a matchup of top-30 doubles teams at the No. 1 spot, 18th-ranked Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton had no trouble with the 27th-ranked pairing of Krisztina Kapitany and Mara Schmidt, rolling to an 8-1 win. A victory by Belinda Niu and Kate Turvy at the No. 3 spot clinched the doubles point for the 'Cats.
Northwestern was able to carry the momentum into singles play. At No. 4, Mushrefova improved to 10-0 in Big Ten matches this season as she barely broke a sweat in a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Tess Bernard-Feignb.
Fellow senior Brittany Wowchuk was also victorious in straight sets as she put the Wildcats up 3-0 with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Gisella Pere at No. 6. Freshman Alicia Barnett clinched the match moments later as she completed her 6-1, 6-3 dismantling of Krisztina Kapitany at No. 5.
Turvy, ranked 49th, was also a winner in two sets, defeating Lynda Xepoleas at No. 2 6-4, 6-2. The Wildcats got one final victory at No. 1 as 122nd-ranked Veronica Corning rallied back for a 6-7, 6-0, 1-0 win.
Northwestern wraps up its regular season Sunday as it hosts Indiana on Senior Day. Action gets underway at 11 a.m. at Vandy Christie Tennis Center.
#16 Northwestern 6, #27 Purdue 1
1. #18 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) def. #27 Krisztina Kapitany/Mara Schmidt (PU) 8-1
2. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) vs. Lynda Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PU) 7-7 (abandoned)
3. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) def. Gisella Pere/Tess Bernard-Feigenb (PU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 3*
1. #122 Veronica Corning (NU) def. Mara Schmidt (PU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-0, 1-0 (10-5)
2. #49 Kate Turvy (NU) def. Lynda Xepoleas (PU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Daniela Vidal (PU) def. Belinda Niu (NU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (10-4)
4. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) def. Tess Bernard-Feigenb (PU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Alicia Barnett (NU) def. Krisztina Kapitany (PU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) def. Gisella Pere (PUR-W) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 6, 5*, 2, 1, 3