Waves Cap Regular Season with Shut-Out Win vs. BYU on Senior Day
MALIBU, Calif. – The Pepperdine women’s tennis team, ranked #34 by the ITA, celebrated Senior Day with a 7-0 sweep over BYU. The Waves’ seniors, Ali Walters and Andrea Oates, were victorious in both doubles and singles in their final home regular-season matches in Malibu.
Pepperdine (14-7, 8-0 WCC) opened the morning with a sweep of the doubles point and never looked back.
Walters (Newport Beach, Calif./Creekside Christian HS/UCLA) and Arianna Colffer (Corona, Calif./Buena Vista) scored an 8-2 decision against Desiree Tran and Morgan Anderson, while Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand, Bangkok Patana School) and Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) mirrored that same score against Meghan Sheehan-Dizon and Megan Price.
Megan Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) and Oates battled back from a small deficit in the opening games to win 7-5 in the tiebreaker against Aubrey Paul and Lisa Waldron.
Oates was brilliant in singles action, wrapping up the regular season win a 6-0, 6-0 victory against Andie Young.
“It was just icing on the cake,” said Oates after the match. “It’s a good feeling knowing that I was able to play well, and get a win in singles and doubles for the team.”
Fellow senior Walters also finished Senior Day on a high note, defeating Price 6-4, 6-1.
In the No. 2 spot in the lineup, Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) recorded 6-1, 6-0 triumph over Anderson, while Issara topped Tran 6-1, 6-2 in the No. 1 match.
Moore tallied a close 7-5, 6-4 win, followed by Colffer’s 7-6, 6-3 triumph to round out the sweep.
The Cougars conclude the regular season at 7-14 and 3-5 and the WCC.
The Waves open the WCC Championship as the No. 1 seed next week, April 26-28, at the Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego, Calif.
#34 Pepperdine 7, BYU 0
1. #60 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
2. #119 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 7-6, 6-3
4. Ali Walters (PEP) def. Megan Price (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Megan Moore (PEP) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Andie Young (BYU) 6-0, 6-0
1. #32 Lorraine Guillermo/Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Megan Price/Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 8-2
2. Ali Walters/Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Desiree Tran/Morgan Anderson (BYU) 8-2
3. Andrea Oates/Megan Moore (PEP) def. Aubrey Paul/Lisa Waldron (BYU) 6-5 (7-5)
BYU 7-14, 3-5 WCC
Pepperdine 14-7, 8-0 WCC; National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,4,2,1,5,3)
# # #